Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VZ ECU - Options in today's Market

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I had this guy look at my ECU, only to find mine wasn't faulty.
I'm still trying to make time to nut out what is causing my issues

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Just to confirm of any looking to install a 2nd hand ecu, you can definitely do an ecu reset on the replacement ecu in your own car,(don't have to worry if not reset before hand).
You will need the the 4 digit security code for you original ecu, and the one for your replacement ecu (that matched the vin of the car it came out of), and a tech 2 diagnostic tool, or similar tool.
Before you remove your original ecu, make sure you do an ecu reset, to unlink ecu for the pim.
Install replacement ecu, (don't start the car), and do a ecu reset with security code for replacement ecu.
Then do a ecu link to pim, using your original security code, and you should have success at swapping ecu.

Hatcher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Hey guys I know this is a old thread, but I also have fuel error msg just hoping some1 can confirm if I buy a 2nd ecu that's not reset and as long as I have the security key I can reset the 2nd hand ecu in my car? And do I HAVE to get Holden to link it and register it or something, because I have a vivdent i400a scan tool and it links pcm and etc so can I do all this myself, or is Holden telling me the truth that only they can program and link my ecu??
Any help much appreciated guys, thanks Andrew

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
With a Tech 2 you need to get authorisation from AC Delco to overide the security system. You can purchase a link online.

I have heard conflicting stories on other scantools. I am waiting on a secondhand Ultrascan Plus to arrive in the mail. If it ever arrives I will let you know how it goes. Can't hurt trying the Vident; let me know how you go with it.
Cheers
Jolls

Jonnybgood5150

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Yeah, Iv been meaning to make a thread to cover the whole VZ V6 ECU changeovers and options available. As its getting ridiculous how often its occuring.

Right, the main three options are:
1) Brand new ECU (~$1100 for unit plus programming and fitting)

2) Second hand ECU only ($50-$100, MUST BE RESET OR IT IS USELESS! Also needs to be programmed to your cars engine calibration plus perform all relearns to ensure everything works without warnings)

3) ECU, BCM, PIM and key. Plug and play solution to fix the problem. (Price ranges from $250-650 depending on seller, programming ect)

Things to think about though..

Option 1 is most expensive, can cost more then quoted depending on Holden dealership, but the ECU is guaranteed not to be faulty. At almost quarter of the cost of alot of VZ's, its up to you whether you think its worth it.

Obviously, cheapest option is number 2... BUT I cant stress this enough, a second hand VZ V6 ECU is literally worthless without being security reset. The reset is what delinks the ECU from the BCM and PIM, it requires entering the security immo 4 digit key to delink it. Without this 4 digit key, the ECU cannot be security reset. And if its not security reset, it cant be linked to another vehicle!

Option three is plug and play. BUT the ECU and PIM need to be programmed for your vehicle otherwise you will receive ABS warnings, Engine warnings ect due to misconfiguration. In any situation this requires online subscription access to Holdens servers to flash in a valid calibration and a STRONG battery charger if performed in car otherwise flash will fail and ecu will be killed. If you can find a set from the exact same vehicle, then it will be plug and play.

Iv performed all three options on various clients cars so they do all work. Its more a matter of finding someone with experience with the VZ V6's otherwise you will be forking out 100's to someone that wont be able to do anything and waste your time.

Hope that helps!!
When doin option three does it matter if you buy a manual one or an auto one?

OzMP_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Anyone know what the options are in 2021, given Holden is no more, and a VZ is only worth a $1 - 5k running?

Getting the dreaded FUEL GUAGE - CONTACT DEALER and can't even bypass the starter relay.
Apart from junk it, I don't know if any other option is good money after bad.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Anyone know what the options are in 2021, given Holden is no more, and a VZ is only worth a $1 - 5k running?

Getting the dreaded FUEL GUAGE - CONTACT DEALER and can't even bypass the starter relay.
Apart from junk it, I don't know if any other option is good money after bad.
Haltech and that’s it. They do one for it and you’ll be shelling out about $4-5k for it.

https://support.haltech.com/portal/en/kb/articles/alloytec-engine-inlet-vvt-only
Use their 2500 ECU.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i had to replace ours a few months ago cost 1300 including tow truck fee to the mechanics and it was 16 years old and the first two replacements refurbished ecms turn out to be faulty just glad it wasn t my headache

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
LS Extreme have them for V6 at the moment for $650. I purchased my LSI version from them as well. Doesnt look like they have LS ones in stock at the moment.