Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing wheel stud

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
so i was in at bob jane getting some new tyres fitted the other day, and the fitter comes in and says that one of my wheel studs and nut had been shorn (spell me) off and was rolling around freely behind the wheel stud cover. im just wondering if anyone has replaced one of these before?

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
so im guessing thats a no?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Never done it on a Commodore but the Commo is same as other cars - depending on whether its front or rear you simply knock the stud out backwards (hit with a hammer and punch at the nut end) this will drive the stud out of its seat in the hub. The stud has splines which lock it into the hub. You can get one from a wrecker or most auto shops. Difference front or rear refers to space behind stud when you knock it out.
Usually if one breaks when getting a tyre fitted they will assume responsibility - they will have a box of spare studs on hand.

Last edited:

hightekhosting

had no choice
Reaction score
Website
www.hightekhosting.com.au
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2 V6
Yes, I have had a broken stud not too recently.

Was a simple process to change actually.

I actually let the type place change it whilst I supervised with delight as to how easy it really was, plus they had a rattlegun to aid in pulling the new stud into place tight.

Took them 5 mins and cost me nothing.

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
thanks for the replies...yer i was suprised bob jane said they 'didnt have any studs in stock'

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yea i got the same line from bob jane.... yea nar sorry mate, dont have any instock.. GRR

but simple to change, as hako mentioned. was it rear or front? a trick to it, when putting your new one in, get a few bigger sized nuts as spacers so you can tighten ur wheel nut and 'pull' the stud into place. it will either grove new splines or come to rest in there original spot. then slap on your wheel tighten, n ur done.

buy a set of 5 from holden, will cost you $10 as you might as well do em all.

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
naturally after they told me they didnt have any in stock, they threw out the old 'just go up the road to steerite and they will sort it all out for you'. pfft.

its front drivers side. so is this job easy to do yourself? i mite slip over to holden and get a set and have a look at it today.

cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Reason they fail is because most tyre places including Bob Jane use rattle guns to tighten the nuts which ends up overtensioning the studs. The crunch comes when Joe or Jane Doe gets a flat and cannot undo the wheel nuts.

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
surely joe would be right, but jane mite need a hand :p

in other news, i ordered one from super cheap (i was in there and too lazy to fight peak hour traffic to get to holden) 10.50 delivered for one! they saw me comin....