Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resetting the odometer

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I'm gonna try and put a VK dash in my car, and I wanna try and set the odometer back to 0k's. I'm rebuilding my motor so that's the reason why I wanna take it back to 0.

Do I just turn the digits back manually? Can I stuff it by doing it?

I don't even know if the odometer works, as when I bought my parts VK the motor and trans weren't in it.

Cheers,
Danny

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Well I decided to give it a shot. Even tho it would prolly be easier to remove the top cogs then set the digits back to '0' then put them back in place, I've just got a small wheel thing on the end of my drill and it makes contact with the cog on the end and it turns it....it takes a while tho, all up I've spent about 2 hours with my finger on the button winding it back and so far I've gone from 219000k's to 145000k's.

I tested the odometer b4 i started and it worked fine, so hopefully it still will work when I'm finished ;)

J

jc58nc

I've done a couple of Vr~Vs odometers by sliding out the pin on the top cogs, set the counters to what you require (they are free to turn with the top cogs & pin out) and replace the pin and top cogs. The whole job takes less than 30 min and would be a lot easier than winding it with a drill.:thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
and winding back the odo is legal???

J

jc58nc

It is legal if you are matching your current odometer reading. It's a NO NO to wind back an odometer just to show less KMS. Here in NSW the RTA keep a record of the odometer reading from the annual roadworthy inspection from every car, so if you do it you soon will get caught when you sell the car. They allowed my odometer to be reset to the kms of the new transplanted Ecotec engine & auto, but I had to convince them I was not selling the car.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Thanks for the info mate.....as of a few hours ago it now says 0km's lol. I ended up just sticking to the drill haha. But if there's a next time I'll definetely slide the pin out and remove the cogs....seems like a waaay easier idea.

The reason I'm doing it is coz I'm rebuilding my motor and I'd like it set back to 0km so I know how far my new motor has gone. I've written down the current km's of the VH odometer into my book which I write everything, just so I know how many K's the whole car has done.

I don't intend to sell this car, I've done a fair bit to it, and mostly by myself, and it's missing a whole lot of stuff which I removed coz I don't require so I doubt anyone would want it anyways haha. :p