Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

reverse light problem

michaelrocks36

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commo series 2
i have had my vn converted to a manual and now have no reverse lightss. has anyone got any ideas what to do as i cant get the car registered without them

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
did you put the manual loom in? if you left the auto loom in there you will have to find the 2 reverse wires and conect them to the switch

michaelrocks36

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commo series 2
i am not sure if the loom maual loom has been used but the is a 2 plugs that come through, one is for the speedo and i dont know what the other one is. i though maybe it is the auto reverse switch. if so what colour are the reverse lights wirs?

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5 Speed Wagon & VS Auto Wagon & 98 VS Statesman
if you send me your email address i will send you the diagrahm to wire up your reversing lights, the lights need to be wired up from a plug at the base of where the auto tower was inside the car. 2 wires need to be shorted out & 2 extended for your reversing lights

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
i know the vr auto loom has 2 wire plug under the car and a big round plug for the auto? does it have these

michaelrocks36

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commo series 2
i think the plug has 3 wires goin into it

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
the speed sensor on the gearbox is 3 wires but the harness on the car is only 2 wires ( auto has only 2 wires for speed sensor)

michaelrocks36

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commo series 2
sorry i was looking at the wrong one. i think i found the right plug. is it the one which did connect into the auto gear selector? because if it is, at the moment it is still connected to the old gear selector and is taped up in PARK so the car starts (sounds dodgy to me lol .....but it works)

michaelrocks36

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commo series 2
i recieved the diagram, thanks mal. i was just wondering what you mean by shorting the wires?

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
shorting the wires means join them together, i just normally get a little piece of wire put connectors on each end and plug it in to the 2 wires that need to be shorted, what that does is it makes the ecu think that its in park ( neutral)and will then let the car start