Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Road trip to syndey?

NaY 2.0

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
I'm going from Sydney's west too Coolangatta in November. can't wait for it, be my first long drive (over 250km's anyways) always flown up but this time i'm driving.

going to travel up there in 3 days and stop off at Forster/Tuncurry and Coffs Harbour too look around and see the sights, but drive it in one hit on the way home.

Coffs is average IMO, Go further to wear nautilus is ( I think thats how you spell it ) and theres a really nice little beach hidden away that is really nice

Go past scotts head as well

Bizzy029

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black VZ sv6
Coffs is average IMO, Go further to wear nautilus is ( I think thats how you spell it ) and theres a really nice little beach hidden away that is really nice

Go past scotts head as well

the plan was to originally go to South West Rocks (used too have our family holidays there every year for 20 years) instead of Coffs, then SWR got over develped and turned ****, although its only one night and i havent been too Trial Bay Gaol since 2002 and would really like to walk over the bridge in back creek (childhood memories). i will have too google that place your on about i have never heard of it.

cyprusx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 2002 Commodore Sedan
hey guys so if i leave at 3am is that okay with traffic? I usually get up pretty early. if i leave at 3pm Ill get really tired
So for a total novice when it comes to driving is it complicated getting their, like is it 1 straight line?
so will I only need to stop once for fuel? and are the fuel stations on the side of the main road?
Are their special stop of areas for a break?

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby
M8 its really easy,if ya got a navman even better lol but apart from that theres servos just about the whole way down....we stopped of just past newcastle for a break but traffic was pretty banked anyway coz of bloody easter and roadworks grrr
get on google maps and put your directions in that'll give you an idea of the trip you got ahead!!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
hey guys so if i leave at 3am is that okay with traffic? I usually get up pretty early. if i leave at 3pm Ill get really tired
No. I do this run at least once a month, just did it last night for example and the main thing is timing to avoid the CBD commuter traffic both ends, but nobody has told you about Pacific Highway roadworks, takes +2hrs at present day or night.
I would leave about 7pm Saturday night and go up the Pacific. It is the one night almost every truck has off plus at night there are very few pottering old farts noddin off to talkback radio, new Australians perplexed and petrified in the right lane, and happy clapping grey nomads / scandie campers after about 7pm.
So for a total novice when it comes to driving is it complicated getting their, like is it 1 straight line?
Cinchy, no instructions needed apart from drive within your limits, watch out for hoop snakes coiled near the warmth of rest stops, and steer clear of the legendary mad cahnt in a rusty Peterbilt 281 tanker who gives young blokes, particularly apprentices, in Holdens a hard time.
31b06107-5a03-0bea.jpg

so will I only need to stop once for fuel? and are the fuel stations on the side of the main road?
Whoever told you that you can drive for 10-14 hours and around 900k on a single tank down the Pacific Hwy in a 10 year old VX with luggage is tooting your horn, son. Depends on tune, right foot and roadworks but never 1x tank BNE - SYD... budget 1.5x tanks lest you carry a spare gallon and a big piece of card with the words "Need FUEL, where's Syndey?" in your boot.
Are their special stop of areas for a break?
Yes literally hundreds of designated places to stop and you are going to use them every couple of hours... not really that special for a young novice mind you (least not in a good way) in middle of the night.

PS look for "Sydney" not "Syndey" and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
As suggested, hit up google maps and it will give you an idea of the trip. Make a note of the big towns you have to pass through and just follow the signs between each one. That's what I do anyway (I'm not cool enough to have a gps :p )

Also as said, there's a servo about halfway between Newcastle and Sydney on the F3 freeway. It's a pretty easy drive as most of it is on highways.

Last time I drove from the GC to Newcastle I got to just past Taree on a tank in my old VP. I was happy with that as it was a $600 car, but a VX in good nick should better it.

I don't know how you drive, but watch out for coppers on the way down. They like to hide on the highway.

cyprusx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 2002 Commodore Sedan
I guess the only challenge is now figuring out how not to fall asleep becuase if i leave at 7pm by 10pm ill start to get sleepy so ill probably need alot of energy drinks. I'll try and go to bed early but its hard for me to change my sleeping pattern. How many hours will I save driving without traffic?

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
You wont save much time with no traffic, only really in the main cities. For 90% of the trip you wont really save any time. It's just nice to get into a capital city like Sydney after a long drive without sitting in traffic. Last time I passed through Sydney it was a Public holiday so traffic wasn't an issue, probably saved me an hour or so going from Southwest Rocks to Melbourne in a day. Thats was an easier drive than the time I went from Ceduna to melbourne in a 23 hour day in a Van that wouldn't go over 90km/h because of a blown head gasket :)

pondyrock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon
I did Gold Coast to Melbourne in my 89 Magna when I was 17 a few years back. Good experience and worth doing. Car went well other than my wipers breaking about 5 mins in, was a little annoying. Just plotted the trip out before I left and noted the major towns then follow the signs. Good Luck.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
I guess the only challenge is now figuring out how not to fall asleep becuase if i leave at 7pm by 10pm ill start to get sleepy so ill probably need alot of energy drinks. I'll try and go to bed early but its hard for me to change my sleeping pattern. How many hours will I save driving without traffic?

Don't drive tired.
If you need sleep...Sleep.
Don't risk you're life and other's just to get there a little bit earlier.