Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rolled guards too much

Matt ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF s2 ssv redline
Hey guys, i had my rear guards "rolled" to fit larger wheels on my 2016 vf ss, the bloke ended up pretty much pumping the guards out by like 5mm even though thats not what i wanted - not much i can do about it know...
Its just pesting me wishing he hadnt of done that because the fitment is not as clean as it could of been if the guards were inline and flat instead of flared..

Iv thought of heating them up, and using a rubber mallet to bang them back inline a bit but im way too scared to flake the paint or have them appear crooked..
its not that huge of a deal that i want to risk damaging the paint, but it still pests me looking at them from certain angles!

Any advice on what i could do, or if a professional could do anything not too expensive? Or am i stuck with them unless i cough up big $, or run a risk of damage ? ‍

Its not that big of a deal - iv put up with it for a couple months already, im just starting to think is there something i can do about them!

Cheers

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Call a PDR guy local to you and get him to have a look at it. May not be able to do much being an edge basically, but they work magic on other parts, so worth a try before you try something more serious.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Whatever you do, I wouldn't be using a rubber mallet as my first foray into PDR/panel work :eek: The end result won’t be to your liking :oops:

PS: I'm assuming a professional rolled your guards so another professional may end up doing something you like even less :rolleyes:

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
Yeah, there's no way you'll get a straight edge with a mallet!

Im guessing he did that to make the wheels legal?

You'll be annoying yourself a lot more with the mallet result trust me...

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Your problem is that the metal has been stretched, and to get it back to how it was you'd need to shrink it, which is almost impossible without destroying the paint.

I'd say your options are either put up with it like it is or take it to a panel beater and be prepared for a partial respray. If it's a metallic or mica colour then you can't just do individual panels or it will look like crap.

Andrew

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Typically you do get a little pump when rolling guards, how much is dependent on metal thickness/hardness, equipment used, and then the process itself, "slow and steady", or "send it"

I've had guards rolled at tyre shops the have pumped them out quite a bit, typically tyre shops follow the "send it" process, for them time is money

I ended up purchasing a roller myself, most times, even if I took my time and adjusted the roller slowly it would pump the guards a bit

I learnt to roll or pump my guards prior to measuring up for fitment, I got an extra 10mm on the rear of my R33 which allowed me to fit 255/50 16 DR's without scrubbing

As long as the panel isn't warped, the paint isn't cracked and it only 5mm I wouldn't even worry about it

Un-pumping the guards will envolve alot of expensive panel work

H

harrop.senator

The only way I could see it possible is if he had the rolling wheel at a 90 degree angle and straight facing the lip after he'd folded it with the mallet.

If so the only way I can think of it working is to put another car side by side with. Or borrow a solid axle diff and support it with stands at the right height and try and roll it back in towards the inner.

Every other way I can think of putting it back definitely requires paint.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We never did hear from what the OP did in the end and that was 10 months ago.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Now I only ever use a roller and heat gun on the bulk of the panel

I found using a mallet anywhere, bar the lower edges or panel joins, a recipe for a "wavy" finish