Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roof Light Wiring

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Hey hey everybody, i'm looking at tapping into my roof light wiring for my neon install and was simply wanting to know what the best point of attack is for this (where's the most easily accessible wiring point). I know of people who've run a coat hanger down through the roof lining from the roof light itself down between the front and back doors and then threaded their neons wire back up through and connected it up right near the roof light but i thought surely there's got to be an easy access point than that somewhere that's closer to the floor/footwells/front seats/lower half of the car :p. Any help would be great, wiring colours to look for would be another bonus.

Thanks Again!

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
i got rid of my cigi lighter to do mine, but if you wanna keep yours you can 'tap' into the wiring for it, cant really explain much more but im sure someone else can
also have a search around too, other forums have a few things on this

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 441
Last edited by a moderator:

AnthsVSLexcen

Reaction score
theres 2 orange wires going up the drivers front pillar. so if u revove the fuse panel cover and search aroiund the for 2 orange wires u should find em

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
thanks fellas,

yeah nick88 i've decided i want them to come on though as the roof light would... i.e. unlock doors... open doors etc rather than just a plain switch replacing the ciggy lighter. By the way i like your silver paint on the centre console and that part of the dash behind the steering wheel, you've inspired me to do the same :p. Actually, is it difficult to get out that part of the dash you have spray painted silver behind the steering wheel there?

AnthsVSLexcen thanks for that mate, should be a big help, i'll have a look sometime soon. Does one of the orange wires have a black stripe and one have a white stripe or something like that? If so the black stripe one would be the ground wire i assume... Thanks.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
if you can, get yourself a gregorys manual, itll come in very handy.
anyway, to get the dash facia out you need to:
completley lower the steering wheel
undo the two screws where the speedo is
pull the nob bit of the lights switch off on the right hand side
twist the next bit which i think has the lil selector thing on it
then the whole light selector shoul pull out, disconnect the wires
pull the dash facia out, its only then held in by some clips around the side
then unclip the switched from the back, unscrew the air vents and if you have a trip comp or speed alert, disconnect its wires also
i think thats pretty much it
if ya need any help on whatever add me on msn: [email protected]

Nick

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
hello again, digging up this thread from about a week ago, going back to the roof light wiring...

It was said two orange wires are what i'm looking for... - i'm assuming that they two are still different in some way... was wondering if anyone knew whether the positive or negative had a certain colour stripe in it or something so i can identify which is which (no i don't have a multimeter at the moment).

Second main thing i needed to talk about was how i'd incorporate a relay into it... now i've finally got a pretty good idea of the way the relay works, so in this post all i want to concentrate on is if anyone can give me and answer simply relating to magnetising the coil and forget the rest of the neon wiring schematics for the moment... see here's the thing... the positive wire to the interior light having a constant 12 volts to it and having the negative wire be the switched wire is where i fall into trouble... here's the two scenarios i see with the relay:

1) I have the roof light positive wire connected to pin 85 (not a problem), from pin 86 i then tap into the negative interior light wire BEFORE the switching point and hence the circuit is only earthed (and thus completed) when it is switched to on... (i.e. coil is only magnetised when either a door is opened or manually switched on by driver). GOOD SCENARIO.

2) I have the roof light positive wire connected to pin 85 (not a problem), from pin 86 i then tap into the negative interior light wire AFTER the switching point and hence the negative wire would then be permanently earthed as it would run directly to a continous wire earthed connection and the circuit would remain always completed so the relay coil would always remain magnetised. (This is the scenario i'm not wanting to experience if i'm going to be installing the neons as this will mean they'll permanently be on).

SO... from this, i'm just wanting to know:

a) At what points exactly in the vehicle is the negative interior light wire switched at so that i can ensure i attack and tap into the negative wire along the line BEFORE any switches (such that the circuit will once again only be complete and the coil will only be magnetised when it is switched by a door opening or manually by the driver) AND

b) How i would get to this physical wiring at a point before it's switching point to tap into (i.e. what parts of the vehicle i would have to pull apart and how to do so). I'm sure there's probably a number of spots... i'm looking for some of the easier ones and closest to the floor ones preferably.

If i took AnthsVSLexcen advice and remove the fuse panel cover and found the negative interior light wire and simply tapped into it there would that be before the switching point? or would it be after the switching point hence making a solid line connection direct from pin 86 on the relay to the earthed wire permanently (leaving my neons switched to on permanently - BAD)?

Ok... i know alot of that might have gotten a little convoluted, if i haven't explained my problem well enough please tell me.

Thanks everybody, much appreciate your help :)

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
ok i've attached a picture to show what i mean... The diagram represents the car when the roof light is supposed to be OFF (as you can see by the circuit being incomplete as the switch is open). You'll see that in the top picture the BLUE BOX circuit would only be complete once the roof light circuit was complete, whereas in the bottom picture the BLUE BOX circuit is always complete... because it's after the switch with nothing to stop it from being earthed...

Attachments

• roof_light_wiring_good_and_bad.gif
    roof_light_wiring_good_and_bad.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 443

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
*bump*... anyone know what i'm on about or have i gone loco?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You ain't loco (yet) ....remember the lamp unit is earthed internally and both orange wires are hot(+12v) but for different reasons (like door open, ign on/off, manual over-ride etc)