Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rory's Alloytec Ute

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Today the exhaust came out along with AC being unbolted, power steering pump being disconnected, tailshaft unbolted and all ready to be unbolted and removed...
Need to get onto some friends and see if anyone has an engine crane around that I can borrow or else it's to Kennards. Then its time to buy another engine and drop it in.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Took the day off today and got to work on the ute. Picked up an Alloytec from the wreckers and then hired an engine crane from Kennards and got to work. Engine and box came out and then unbolted alt, PS pump and some other bits and pieces that didn't come with the new engine and bolted them up, having a bit of trouble with the box at the moment but thanks to some help from CB looks like I'm on the right track. Also got some pictures with the engine/box out that I will put up shortly. Looking forward to putting it all back together over the weekend :)

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got the box off last night and then pulled off the torque converter and called it a day. I spent most of the morning trying to get the box and engine to sit together right and had a lot of difficulty getting the torque converter to line up but eventually I got there, I'm Hoping that I've got it right and that it will all work ok. I bolted everything up and put the gearbox and new engine back in the car. I also managed to bolt the engine mounts, gearbox mounts and the center bearing up before calling it a day :) I'm HOPING that I can get all the electricals plugged in, the AC in, PS plumbed up, radiator in and filled, exhaust in and all the other bits and pieces put together. Planning on having it running by the end of tomorrow but if not I'll be working on it after work during this week :)

Last edited:

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So on Sunday a week ago I managed to get everything plugged in and working. Started it up and it was idling a bit rough but the worst bit was that the gearbox wasn't turning the wheels at all. I checked the auto trans lines and there was no fluid flow so I came to the conclusion that I had done something wrong. Turns out that I had.

The manual was very unclear on how to bolt the engine and box together and in the process I had managed to smash the gearbox pump, explaining why there was no fluid flow and why there was no drive either... So anyway, long story short, I took the car down and got the whole lot repaired for me at an auto trans shop. Much better than pulling it all apart again at home and now it is RUNNING :) picked it up this morning

But after driving it for a bit I realised that it was coming up with service vehicle soon on the dash whenever it was idling. I don't think it's the oil pressure sensor since its only happening at idle and after I drive away it clears but at idle the RPM surges up and down as if its trying not to stall... Any help would be appreciated.

jbuzZHuB9omIbV.JPG

jI8dsE24k0J6z.JPG

jXptvWxAvxLi6.JPG

jbmtmfOVl0uvSY.jpg

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good to see that it's all falling into place.

Your dog is pretty cool, it's always well behaved when you bring it to cruises.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Good to see that it's all falling into place.

Your dog is pretty cool, it's always well behaved when you bring it to cruises.

Yeah man, finally, hoping to fix the surge at idle soon and bring it back to running smoothly. Yeah shes awesome, having puppies at the end of the month too so that will be good :)

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well after a bit of a think about it I'm going to replace the PCV lines as they have both been split and it is possible that there is a leak is causing the bad idle. Also when the drivers side one split, the entirety of the inside of it was full of crap. Would have been difficult to breathe through that, anyway I've got a set coming to my local Holden so i will pick them up after work. hoping that all my problems will disappear after that.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So the PCV lines rocked up yesterday and after I put them on it was idling smooth as but at idle it was still throwing up the SVS message, so I've bought a 27mm ring spanner and plan on putting the sensor off the old motor onto the new one and see if that fixes it, once thats done I will take it for a drive and see how it goes :) hoping to fix all the problems soon :) also chucked a new drivers side headlight globe in as the old one was blown.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride