Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rotors and Hubs

Tekka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VR Commodore
Hey guys,

Im up for new front rotors and i was wanting to know do i have to replace the wheelbearing hubs when fitting new rotors?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
no, rotors only, they together with hubs. Wheel bearings i think can be regreased on ur model which is worth doing with wheel bearing grease. Easy to take apart. VT, VX for sure is sealed unit, and must replace whole bearing.

Some performance rotors keep the gold hub or whatever, and you only replace the disc surface area, bolts on.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No, the VR has a sealed hub as well. You only need to replace the rotors. If you want to go slotted I can do you a good price on RDA rotors, even standard if you don't want to go slotted.

kapzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodre
Didnt want to start a new Thread but has anyone got a good guide on how to change 1994 VR brake pads..

i have the caliper off and taken the old pads out. inserted some Ztech pads . now the caliper wont fit over the rotor disc , do i need to rebleed them or just get somethin strong to spread them apart so they fit back over the disc.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Didnt want to start a new Thread but has anyone got a good guide on how to change 1994 VR brake pads..

i have the caliper off and taken the old pads out. inserted some Ztech pads . now the caliper wont fit over the rotor disc , do i need to rebleed them or just get somethin strong to spread them apart so they fit back over the disc.

Plenty of workguides for this in the "how to" section, but in brief, use one of the old pads to rest on the piston and use a g-clamp to push the piston back in slowly. Then it will fit back over easily. Pump the pedal a few times to get the pressure back, and check to make sure none spilled out of the reservoir.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You need to push the piston back into the caliper. Refit the old pads into one side and place it back over the rotor so when you push the piston in on the other caliper it doesn't pop that piston out. There are numerous threads on changing brake pads.

Tekka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VR Commodore
Thanks for the replies guys!!

I'm glad i don't have to replace the hubs as i was quoted $205 each for the front ones and $102 each for the rear's. To expensive i think!!

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Thanks for the replies guys!!

I'm glad i don't have to replace the hubs as i was quoted $205 each for the front ones and $102 each for the rear's. To expensive i think!!

Thats a fairly cheap price... I take it thats for NON ABS hubs, as the ABS ones are well over $350 each for the fronts... been down that track 3 times with my old VS...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
One of mine needed replacing too, but I sold it as is....it was ABS as well.

Tekka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VR Commodore
I told the guy over the phone that my VR is a ABS/IRS model and he quoted me those prices. So i guess that is really cheap compared to 350 bucks!!