Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough Idle.....Holden Australia Update

SV6Manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sers2 SV6 Manual
Hi all.
After alot of back and forth with Holden Aust I have now been told they will do nothing ref fixing or even replacing the Veh.
History, but I "threaded" here before.
Veh idles very rough at times, will return great fuel economy then go to 18lts per 100ks, at 1200rpm "hunts" will even stall while taking off...just not a nice car to drive.
PLS NOTE I/we are a Hilden family...while growing up having owned HX's (Caprice) HG350's, SLR5000, GTR's ect so I hope you all get the point. I love my Holden's, even did a Show N Shine with an A9X (No90)for awhile.

I have had other issues with this Veh but they have all been fixed.

The 2x Dealerships could not fix the idle issue, did remove everything they could, down to the exhuast. Holden sent their Techs in over 3 days, they even said there is an issue (couldn't fix the Veh) and will send a letter out. I didnt get this "letter", funny enough. But have asked twice for it.

Just now contacted the Holden "help" desk again to the Case Manager and they have said....... sorry.....

About me.
Diesel Mech for 21yrs, Have also in that time been a SVC Manager.
So certainly not the best Mech but not an idiot either.

Veh is SV6 Sers 2 Manual with Exforce Exhuast, she was deliverd Late July 2012

Not Happy

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Poor form from Holden, however it is something I too have experienced over the years. Your vehicle purchase is covered under the new lemon laws and not subject to just Fair Trading. Maybe start the process to get the desired outcome.

Sound like a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) issue. I had a similar problem after the numerous engine changes in my 2007 SSV. They replaced the throttle body (TB) and it was gone. It did however throw DTC.

On the V8's, the TPS is integrated into the TB, not sure where it is on the LFX engine or if it has one. Also did they change the O2 sensors? They can be easily damaged when changing exhausts (due to carelessness) and can cause idle/running issues they might not throw a DTC. Could also be stuffed ECM

Send me a PM and I will discuss with some mates here in Canberra for you if you like?

SV6Manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sers2 SV6 Manual
Hi HEXEM, thanks very much for the reply....never even thought about this but after many hours of reading, going around and around finally have something else to throw at them.
I have the Veh in for a service on Tues so just another shitty day at Holden.
They have replaced every sensor, Throttle body, ECU, ECM (some twice) one dealer had a new manual SV6 Ute they used as a "donor car" where the ute worked fine...well not issue that I had on mine. They moved everything over they could in a. week and all that was fixed was the A/C issue I had with leaks.
This service advisor was very good...he was put off not long after I rec'd the Veh back. When I was chancing my Aust Holden letter and I asked for him was told "he no longer works here anymore" .... pity.

Anyway more dramas to work on but atleast another direction to take..thanks again HEXEM

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I don't know what the lemon laws are mentioned above - would be interested to hear = is it a state based thing or federal?

Federally the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 will offer some help. Section 260 (part 3 of the act) says (in part:)

A failure to comply with a guarantee referred to in
section 259(1)(b) that applies to a supply of goods is a major
failure if:
(a) the goods would not have been acquired by a reasonable
consumer fully acquainted with the nature and extent of the
failure; or

ie - If you knew the car was going to run crappy and have excessive fuel consumption then you would not have bought the vehicle. On the face of it your situation seems to satisfy this part of the act - ie your vehicle has a major failure.

Section 259 (3) probably applies which would allow the consumer to reject the goods

259 Action against suppliers of goods
(1) A consumer may take action under this section if:
(a) a person (the supplier) supplies, in trade or commerce, goods
to the consumer; and
(b) a guarantee that applies to the supply under Subdivision A of
Division 1 of Part 3-2 (other than sections 58 and 59(1)) is
not complied with.
(2) If the failure to comply with the guarantee can be remedied and is
not a major failure:
(a) the consumer may require the supplier to remedy the failure
within a reasonable time; or
(b) if such a requirement is made of the supplier but the supplier
refuses or fails to comply with the requirement, or fails to
comply with the requirement within a reasonable time—the
consumer may:
(i) otherwise have the failure remedied and, by action
against the supplier, recover all reasonable costs
incurred by the consumer in having the failure so
remedied; or
(ii) subject to section 262, notify the supplier that the
consumer rejects the goods and of the ground or
grounds for the rejection.
(3) If the failure to comply with the guarantee cannot be remedied or is
a major failure, the consumer may:
(a) subject to section 262, notify the supplier that the consumer
rejects the goods and of the ground or grounds for the
rejection; or
(b) by action against the supplier, recover compensation for any
reduction in the value of the goods below the price paid or
payable by the consumer for the goods
(4) The consumer may, by action against the supplier, recover
damages for any loss or damage suffered by the consumer because
of the failure to comply with the guarantee if it was reasonably
foreseeable that the consumer would suffer such loss or damage as
a result of such a failure.
(5) Subsection (4) does not apply if the failure to comply with the
guarantee occurred only because of a cause independent of human
control that occurred after the goods left the control of the supplier.
(6) To avoid doubt, subsection (4) applies in addition to
subsections (2) and (3).
(7) The consumer may take action under this section whether or not
the goods are in their original packaging.
Happy Reading: (Volume 3 is what applies - very handy to know about as it covers pretty much every consumer purchase): Competition and Consumer Act 2010

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Regarding the rpm fluctuation. You said you had troubles with the A/C. Does it still fluctuate RPM with the A/C OFF? Just a thought, but it might be cutting in and out erratically. As for the other issues, sorry!

maxthedralf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
get a tune. maybe when they did the exhaust they ####ed around with the o2 sensor and its reading off.
and somome has been watching to much judge judy :p im pretty sure we dont have lemon laws here in australia. and even that in America only apply to used cars bought in a car yard. cars bought private apply to the. as is. term. but, in saying that. holden have to do everyting in there power to replaced or fix the part. or to the extreme. replace the car if nothing can be done. but since you have replaced the exhaust and done work to the car. that may bury you in the end.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
somome has been watching to much judge judy :p

For F$%k Sake it was a figure of speech! I hadn't had an opportunity to reply with the exact law change. The new Australian Consumer Law (ACL), developed by the states and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, came into force on January 1 2011 - This was my reference to "lemon laws" Lemon laws protect you | carsguide.com.au.

The Australian Consumer Law applies to most goods and services, including new and used cars, except those bought at auction or private sale. They are much better at resolving warranty (dud product) issues than the Fair Trading ones which I had to use for my old SSV. Which I think is the same law Reaper had posted?

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
They have replaced every sensor, Throttle body, ECU, ECM (some twice) one dealer had a new manual SV6 Ute they used as a "donor car"

I would put the standard exhaust back on and new O2 sensors then go from there. If you haven't already done so?

SV6Manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sers2 SV6 Manual
Hi Mungus, no nothing to do with the A/c or with the idle issues. But to put it as an example in an older car that dosent "idle up" when the A/C is on it is like turning the A/ac on/off but its no the A/C in this instance. It did leak twice in different areas. if you hold the idle still at 1200 rmp it will go to 1400 then back then up....very hipnotic fluctuation if you stare at it on a light side of the issue:eek::eek::eek::eek: