Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough idle when air-con engaged

CouncillorRobFord

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Executive Wagon 3.6L
Have had no issues with my VZ Executive 2007 wagon, however recently it has started to idle rough when the air-con is engaged. Kind of a stutter with a slight jump in RPM visible on the tacho. The aircon still blows cold, however it feels like there may be some kind of timing issue coming from it? Doesn't seem to be losing any power to indicate a misfire but I could be wrong. No check powertrain message and OBD scanner brings up no codes. I've checked the AC hose line and I can't see any visible cracks or ruptures.

Any ideas?

CouncillorRobFord

Reaction score
Members Ride
Took another look today and air filter seems to be still alright (replaced about six months ago) and I sprayed a bunch of carby cleaner into the throttle intake and gave it a clean out. Wasn't too gunked up but figured it couldn't hurt. Seems to be idling fine at 750rpm which I believe is within the normal range, however hasn't seemed to do anything about the shudder and vibration when the aircon is turned on.

dims

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 ve ss sedan
Have had no issues with my VZ Executive 2007 wagon, however recently it has started to idle rough when the air-con is engaged. Kind of a stutter with a slight jump in RPM visible on the tacho. The aircon still blows cold, however it feels like there may be some kind of timing issue coming from it? Doesn't seem to be losing any power to indicate a misfire but I could be wrong. No check powertrain message and OBD scanner brings up no codes. I've checked the AC hose line and I can't see any visible cracks or ruptures.

Any ideas?
Hi, not entirely sure about this but I follow Rainman Rays Repairs from Forida on Youtube.
He said that if the high pressure side of the a/c system is running too high, this puts additional load on the compressor
which will cause the motor to labour at idle and cause vibration.
Pay to go online and have a look at the relavent video. Cheers Dims

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
rainman is a bit of a tool
he used to be ok until he went out on his own
now all clickbait
but if the compressor is placing too much load on engine this could be your cause

dims

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 ve ss sedan
rainman is a bit of a tool
he used to be ok until he went out on his own
now all clickbait
but if the compressor is placing too much load on engine this could be your cause
Hi Lout,
Thanks for coming back. rainman has lost the plot a bit and not too good in the general engineering
side of things. I have two brackets (GM part 92252927) to fit to my '07 ve L98 ute and a friend's '09 L98 sportwagon.
The brackets have built-in tensioner and idler to stop the old problem of the a/c belt falling off.
Before I start just need to know whether I can tie the compressor back a bit allowing me to swop
over the mounting brackets to avoid having to de-gas the system etc.
Cheers
Dims

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
not much room on the VE
but if you can do it, go for it
as long as you dont fold the hoses, it will be fine

VE10

Reaction score
Hi, not entirely sure about this but I follow Rainman Rays Repairs from Forida on Youtube.
He said that if the high pressure side of the a/c system is running too high, this puts additional load on the compressor
which will cause the motor to labour at idle and cause vibration.
Pay to go online and have a look at the relavent video. Cheers Dims
Do you have a link to the video? i have the same issue as the OP.

dims

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 ve ss sedan
Do you have a link to the video? i have the same issue as the OP.
Hi,
I'll dig it out if I can and get it through to you. Have a great day!
Regards
Dims

CouncillorRobFord

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update: over the past couple of days I have tried to classic crapshoot approach of doing the following: filling up with 98, cleaning the throttle body, spraying in a can of upper engine cleaner into the intake, plus an oil and filter change.

One thing I noticed when doing the oil change was that only about five and half litres came out, a litre less than the six and a half that I had previously filled it up with. I suspect this may have been recent, as I don't recall noticing it that low the last time I checked the oil level. I have kept an eye out for leaks and I have never seen one.

Upon taking for a drive, things seemed more or less fine and the engine was responsive and seemed stable enough. I got to speed on the freeway and felt some roughness when getting up to 90-100 (probably around 4k RPM or so). It seemed to stabilise quickly and I continued on normally.

Back on the streets, I tested out the AC again and it definitely felt a lot better. Still felt a vibration or two here and there, but not the same level of frequency or the noticeably dip in RPM when idling. One thing I did notice was that the heat from the engine through the dashboard vents might have felt hotter than normal when the AC was off, however it's not something I've really noticed that much before so don't have that much of a reference point. Oil temperature gauge is in normal range.

Overall, this combination of approaches probably did help out a bit with things and are all routine maintenance things I would be doing anyway, but I can't say that it's really got me any closer to figuring out exactly what is causing the issue. Considering the potential increase in engine temperature and burning of oil I'm suspecting it may be coolant related, but I'm not sure as this isn't reflected in the oil temperature gauge. PCV issue maybe?