Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Routers

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
I want to get my xbox online and need wifi to do so. I have a newish (last xmas) 250gb xbox 360 which I think has built in wifi.

At the moment I only have a computer using my internet connection via an ethernet cable and broadband modem.

From what I've read, I can get a router, but leave my computer hardwired to the internet and have wifi for the xbox/anything else that may need it.

Does that sound about right?

Any suggestions on a router?

Cheers

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Upgrade your modem to a wireless one. Will be the easiest way. What brand is your current modem?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I would have thought X box would have ethernet connection to plug straight into your modem?

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Upgrade your modem to a wireless one. Will be the easiest way. What brand is your current modem?

Will this let me keep the computer connected via cable? I'd have to check the brand of my modem. It's just the one Telstra sent me when I got the internet connected.

I would have thought X box would have ethernet connection to plug straight into your modem?

Yeah it does but it means a cord running across my loungeroom, and I'm also not sure if I could have the computer and xbox both connected at the same time.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Modem routers have both Ethernet and wireless most of the time. Maybe even talk to your internet provider about upgrading to a wireless modem that way you know it's guaranteed to work.

omaz78

PUSSY LIQOUR
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy berlina
Will this let me keep the computer connected via cable? I'd have to check the brand of my modem. It's just the one Telstra sent me when I got the internet connected.

Yeah it does but it means a cord running across my loungeroom, and I'm also not sure if I could have the computer and xbox both connected at the same time.

Is the telstra modem a black motorola upright cable modem ? If so you can bridge it over using a ethernet cable thats how i did mine i bought a tp-link 450mbps dual band gigabite router (tl-wr2543nd) paid about $80 for it last year and its speed is great i did bridge over the standard bigpond one and it was crap.

Sent from my GT-I9300

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
The new wireless modem Telstra has is about 90 bucks last time I installed one. Easy to setup and use. No stuffing around with bridging etc.

omaz78

PUSSY LIQOUR
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy berlina
The new wireless modem Telstra has is about 90 bucks last time I installed one. Easy to setup and use. No stuffing around with bridging etc.

Is that for cable though ? They didnt have any when i looked into it and wernt dual band

Sent from my GT-I9300

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Is the telstra modem a black motorola upright cable modem ? If so you can bridge it over using a ethernet cable thats how i did mine i bought a tp-link 450mbps dual band gigabite router (tl-wr2543nd) paid about $80 for it last year and its speed is great i did bridge over the standard bigpond one and it was crap.

Sent from my GT-I9300

No, it's a white and grey flat one.