Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Runaway Throttle

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
All,

My wife has complained that on occasion, our SSV seems to 'runaway'. Her description is that it's like the cruise control has cut in and is taking the car back to a set speed, or similar to the crawl on an automatic. Our car is a manual.

It only seems to happen at start-up as she's leaving work, and is at very low speed, but this could be due to the confined space accentuating the condition. I was just wondering if anyone else had come across anything similar or not? I

I've not witnessed the condition myself, but I have seen the ESC and ABS post 'off' or 'fault' on the centre LED display when starting the car (not everytime, and after the engine is running, the LED doesn't show the ESC is off, and nor is the ABS light lit) which makes we wonder about a possible electrical issue?

Unfortunately the issue has caused us to get a scraped wheel which is somewhat annoying (wife had to swerve to avoid another car when our car accelerated unexpectedly, and she hit the curb).

The car will be going in for check-up soon, but it would be good to hear if this is a known (even if very rare) fault as that should mean there's a fix :) The only thing I could think of is that the idle revs are higher than normal for some reason - do modern cars still have 'chokes'? Not that I think Sydney would be cold enough to warrant a choke anyway...

thanks all

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
sounds like the fly-by-wire is acting up on the throttle... i would get it checked ASAP

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 V8 VE Calais V 60th Anniversary Edition
All,

My wife has complained that on occasion, our SSV seems to 'runaway'. Her description is that it's like the cruise control has cut in and is taking the car back to a set speed, or similar to the crawl on an automatic. Our car is a manual.

It only seems to happen at start-up as she's leaving work, and is at very low speed, but this could be due to the confined space accentuating the condition. I was just wondering if anyone else had come across anything similar or not? I

I've not witnessed the condition myself, but I have seen the ESC and ABS post 'off' or 'fault' on the centre LED display when starting the car (not everytime, and after the engine is running, the LED doesn't show the ESC is off, and nor is the ABS light lit) which makes we wonder about a possible electrical issue?

Unfortunately the issue has caused us to get a scraped wheel which is somewhat annoying (wife had to swerve to avoid another car when our car accelerated unexpectedly, and she hit the curb).

The car will be going in for check-up soon, but it would be good to hear if this is a known (even if very rare) fault as that should mean there's a fix :) The only thing I could think of is that the idle revs are higher than normal for some reason - do modern cars still have 'chokes'? Not that I think Sydney would be cold enough to warrant a choke anyway...

thanks all

Hi I’m having a an issue pretty much the same as this as well. However my car is auto and when its started sometimes even after its warmed up it seems to act like its stuck in a cold mode start up... The engine sounds like its revving and the Inst Fuel read out shows 3.6 etc when in Drive when say at a set of traffic lights and you can feel its wanting to go... Im aware that Auto's creep when in drive with no pressure on the pedal, however this is alot different.

The car does this perhaps maybe 2 or 3 times a month and Holden is having a hard time trying to trace the issue. They have replaced an ECU, Throttle Position Sensor and Air Flow Sensor but the gremlin still exists... :bang:

Let me know if Holden solves your issue as its very annoying and I guess very dangerous especially in heavy traffic conditions and driving around low speed.

Cheers

Tim

xcopr

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve omega xcop car
My ve omega did this had to reprogram ecu

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
yep guys my sv6 does this to but only when cold it has a chock and holds the revs at 1100 which is actually quite dangerous in car parks, i to have had a few near misses in car parks. When i leave straight away when the engine is cold and i can get up to 25-30km/h without touching the accelerator. I guess it depends on the weather. One fix could be to let the engine warm up for a minute or two as by then the revs drop back to the normal idle level. Well thats what i do now anyway.

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
The car went into a dealership yesterday and they couldn't find any faults :( They reckoned the cause is the re-program that was done when I got the CAI/Exhaust fitted (not sure what it was but I assume a Mafless tune - I got about 20% more power according to the dyno print).

So I'll need to take it back to the dealership that did the CAI etc and see what they say. But for reference, are your cars stock? If this is happening on stock cars then it implies the fault is not the new program.
thanks

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 V8 VE Calais V 60th Anniversary Edition
The car went into a dealership yesterday and they couldn't find any faults :( They reckoned the cause is the re-program that was done when I got the CAI/Exhaust fitted (not sure what it was but I assume a Mafless tune - I got about 20% more power according to the dyno print).

So I'll need to take it back to the dealership that did the CAI etc and see what they say. But for reference, are your cars stock? If this is happening on stock cars then it implies the fault is not the new program.
thanks

Yes... My car is stock with no modifications... I have to wait for my to fault again during a week day so I can run it quickly to Holden for them to run tests... Very annoying!