Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RWC / Safety Cert

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Commodore International Dual Fuel LPG / UL
What are the mobile RWC like in Queensland, are they a bit less anal than inspection stations or no different
I went to a inspection station and they were really anal, pulled up on a tear in ther seat, battery clamp, steering wheel vinyl worn,
swaybar pin bushes, seat belt in the rear not retracting fast enough and a oil leak, I did the swaybar with heavy duty kit, fitted new clamp to battery, repaired seat.
got another seat belt from the wreckers and fitted that.
The oil leak appears to be from valley gasket at the back which I cant afford to get done straight away, it isnt an extreme leak
so I thought a water bast from the top and the bottom before going for another inspection should do the job.
are mobile examiners a bit more user friendly seeing they dont have a hoist to beable to give the underside of the car a thorough
checkover. I have spent over 2 K on the car prior to the RWC inspection the wallet is empty I want to avoid another list from another rwc examiner.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I think the problem is because you have been pulled up on the oil leak, its now in the system and must be repaired now. just get the degreaser out and give it a bloody good clean

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im not sure whether inspections here in queensland get entered into a system, no documentation was done and I wasnt charged for the previous inspection, he just noted down the things he wanted fixed on a piece of note paper for me.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Hmmm, mobile rwc testers, I hope we have them in Vic, might be just what I want

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Sounds like your car is unsafe and shouldnt be anywhere near the road until you fix it properly.

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like your car is unsafe and shouldnt be anywhere near the road until you fix it properly.

No not unsafe at all, a couple of drops a day from valley cover leak doesnt render a vehicle unsafe, as previously stated all other recomendations have been fixed
and this doesnt include the other work done over the last 4-5 weeks on the car which includes but not limited too,
new brake rotors and pads
new engine mounts & gearbox mount
New Starter motor
New Bonnet struts
New Swaybar pin kit
New Steering rack boots
New Power steering hoses
New Thermostat, Heater tap and hoses
Replaced elec window rear regulator/motor
Replaced wiper motor and assembly
Two windows retinted
dent front right guard repaired
plus, oil and filter, air filter
New ariel mast/rope
New airbag steering wheel clock spring
new fuel lid cable.

All 4 Tyres less than 8 months old
Battery and radiator less than 8 months old

Valley cover gasket replaced 12 months ago
New Lifters 12 months ago
New oil sender unit 12 months ago

As you can see this isnt a used and abused unsafe vehicle

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
As you can see this isnt a used and abused unsafe vehicle
Oil leaks are a roadworthy item. So you've only half finished the job of fixing it. Dont understand why you would spend all that money fixing things but leave an oil leak un-touched.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Hmmm, mobile rwc testers, I hope we have them in Vic, might be just what I want

We do have them in Victoria. They're predomantly for heavy vehicles though(trucks and buses). I've found them to be inconsistent.

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
The wallet is only so deep, what started out as working through fixing whats needed has gone overboard, financially, if the oil leak had of been blatantly obvious I would have dealt with it in the first place, a small oil leak shouldnt have the power of basically writing of the worth of a vehicle that is otherwise in good condition and roadworthy.In a ideal world a person would drop it at holden and come back a few days later to a 4-5 k bill for a car thats market value is not much more than that, some people in society can just go out and buy a new car, no problem. The rest of us have to do what we can to work within the financial boundaries we are faced with and aspire towards meeting statutory regulations in the most affordable way possible.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Yeh, If it's only a slight leak, I don't see an issue with it on the road.
Just give it a real good clean before you go to the inspection, Jack the car up and really get in there.

But, When the $$ start's comming in again, Probably a reasonable idea to fix it as sonn as you can, Otheriwse it will just get bigger and maje a mess of thing's.

I wen't for a roadworthy not too long ago, Just after i brought my VX.
A hour after i dropped it in there i got a call from the woman(Mecanic's wife), She tell's me that i better come in and have a talk, And that i am not going to be happy about what they have to say...
So i go in, Thinking my car's previously been crashed and chassis is twisted or something crazy like that...
Anyway, I go in and she passes me a dodgy piece of paper with all the thing's that he won't pass.
It was ALL really cheap part's but really hefty price for HIM to put them on...
Stuff that requires special tool's or a hoist.
Like $160 in part's but $5-600 for him to fit them....

I believe that it was all for him to make a good profit on labour.
Also, She made me pay the full amount for the RWC even know i failed, I asked for a Reciept, She said she can not give me one till i pass...Bull Crap!! Money wen't straight into her pocket!
I never wen't back a second time.

Later that week i took it in for another RWC at a diffrent mecanic, He passed it no worries at all.
Told me the car was in excelent condition for it's age.

Im sure some won't agree.
But IMO, As far as i have experianced, Some mecanic's are honnest, And some are just out to make $$ By whatever means possible.
If you go in for a RWC, They can take advantage of you, Knowing you NEED to do the repairs they stated or you will have no car.

Bit of a ramble on. But. Just annoy's me!