Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rwkw to fwkw?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
LOL, some big posts in this thread, lost a few brain cells trying to compute, but just to throw a spanner in the works, higher HP engines would increase the friction between surfaces in things like diffs gears which would increase the amount of power consumed....

High stall converters are well known for giving incorrect power readings on dyno's, doesn't mean the engine isn't producing the power......

I could go on and on but it seems pointless (fun maybe) but pointless

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
i rekon you should run a low 13 aye mate, is yours a Manual ???

Im assume you got full exhaust, cold air intake and Mafless tune ???

Maybe a 13 flat if you get perfect launch and shifts - ( tyres, weather etc will also affect your time though)

I have the otr and mafless, but only a 2.5in twin cat back.

What was your 60 foot time?

I can't member ill late a look and let you know.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
I have the otr and mafless, but only a 2.5in twin cat back.

A mate of mine managed a 13.1 in a ute with the same mods and good rubber.. However he had a growler instead of an OTR..

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
A mate of mine managed a 13.1 in a ute with the same mods and good rubber.. However he had a growler instead of an OTR..

With an otr should mine run better? His car weighs less though being a ute though right. I might have to lend some semi slicks and take all the weight out of my car. Eg tow bar sub etc. I lost traction in 1st 2nd and 3rd, but its a crap track here.

I would be happy if I could get a mid 13 with current mods. But quicker the better lol

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
If your loosing traction in 1st you'll get a crap 60 foot time.. Very ball park here but I'm assuming you did a 2.1-2.3sec 60 foot.. If you can shave your 60' down to 1.8-1.9.. Very possible with good tires. You'll probably knock out a 13.2-3 no worries..
But the key thing is you need to practice if your launching a manual.. Minimize wheel spin and traction issues through the gears by working on your shifting.. Dumping each gear isn't always faster.

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
Yeah one of my mates - slvrR8 from this forum, he suggested not so much riding the couch on a gear change, but kinda doing that lol. I can't member how he worded it lol.
Wow 13.3 would be fantastic

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
Umm lets clear a few things up.

In a most STOCK setups for medium/low powered cars, the 25- 30% ruling as fairly accurate, depending on all the variables that people have listed above. However, all this changes once your power figures go up....

Example: Generic V8 commodore... manual or auto, whatever.... 165kW flywheel, makes 125rwkW (its an example, dont question it!)

Loss is 40rwkW (24%), the car makes 166rwhp/125rwkW.... now, do something to improve its power output- stroker, blown, or similar.

So, lets say that the stock drivetrain can cope with 500rwhp without slipping (good box, clutch, diff etc). Car is now making 500 rwhp, which is 373rwkW.

A lot of people (even those i know, hardcore petrol heads included!) will tell me that their (example again!) 500rwhp car is making 500kW at the engine. However, 500kW is 680hp i say to them. So, your car is losing 180hp somewhere?? Ahhh, no its not.... you just like big numbers :p

Assuming your auto/manual/clutch/driveline etc isnt slipping and mashing itself, and you havent radically altered the wheel/tyre combos you shouldnt be losing anymore than the 40kW that was initially lost in the first place. Even if you put a bigger clutch setup in place, or rebuild your auto you wont be losing much more than a couple of kW/hp over a stock setup for efficiency, in most cases its better!

So, 373 + 40kW= 413kW @ engine. Yes, its 565hp, but its nowhere near the 680hp that some would claim....

The higher your power goes, the lower your driveline loss % becomes overall.... For the example above, the drivetrain loss is now

STOCK 40kW/165kW = 24% loss
MODIFIED 40kW/413kW = 9.6% loss

keep going with the power upgrades and the % keeps falling...

this kind of strange thinking has been around for years, i even heard several competitors at Summernats on the dyno (with hardcore cars) saying the same things- oh, i can make 800 rwhp, which is 800kW at the engine (1200hp+). Funnily enough, a lot of these cars (at the track) seem to run times and Mph like a lot of the other 850-900 FLYWHEEL hp cars...

Furthermore, i read an article online a while back where some guy had a "600kW" RB30 built for his VL turbo, and was expecting it to make around 600rwhp. Not surprisingly it made 725rwhp, even through a hi-stalled powerglide and 9" diff! That 800hp @ flywheel engine was losing 75hp (50kW) putting it to the wheels (built roller internals glide, alloy centre 9" diff etc), the guy even got onto the shop that built it saying they must have wound it up way past 600kW to get that!! They spent a while telling him how it works, explaining what the go was.

Confused? or enlightened?

Pls let me know if anything here needs clarifying :D

**VN Wagz**

You have way to much time BRO...

^^^^^^^^^ But, im right arent i? LOL

I told this exact thing to a guy at a cruise the other day, who was telling everyone his car makes 350kW.... cos his dyno sheet said 350rwhp....

when confronted with my brutally straightforward logic (in front of his mates, who thought he was full of it as well) his reply was to pause and then say "nahhhhhhh, i think you're wrong!
My understanding was that the loss was not a flat line. ie in your example 40rwkW was the loss of the engine @ 165kW flywheel, makes 125rwkW
But if you increase your torque you will also increase the resistance as you are suddenly applying more rotational energy. This is not lineal as most people think, if you double your torque will not necessay double the losses, but rwkw losses will change.

QldKev

Oh, i understand that with rises in torque and horsepower that more losses will expand beyond the initial amount that a lower power setup would make due to more rotational force through box and diff, but its never going to jump wildly to accomodate the huge losses that people crap on about.. you'd see a few % increase over the loss of a stocker, assuming the clutch/auto internals dont slip/blow up etc... my examples are ones where we'd assume the stock engine is running a roller-internals powerglide and mega-dollar diff setup which would lose bugger all no matter what was put in front of it- low or high power :D :D

I've heard of people with sub-standard autos and/or convertors swapping them for properly built units and magically finding a stack more kW at the wheels.

Agree with you there. Be good if a place with an engine and chassis dyno actually did some stats.
I.e. Get a stock engine setup and chassis dyno it,
Then rip the engine out do an engine dyno,
Do the rebuild/blower/etc
Re dyno the engine
Then put it back in the car and get another rwkw reading.

Talking about losses in the gearbox etc, when I used to live in Perth my mate would even drop his gearbox oil and put in thin **** for the drags, and then put the heavier stuff back in when he finished. Not sure what the difference in kw he actually got doing it, but he claimed it did knock of a bit of time.

well, street commodores did an article with their "STREET" monaro project years back- replaced the engine, gearbox and diff oil with Royal Purple stuff and got a repeatable 4kW gain, so there is lots to be said for different viscositys/shear strengths having different results...

dropping the oil in an auto and changing to other stuff for the drags- sounds scary. Seeing how there is so much relying on oil in an auto, i wouldnt be game....

I've heard of people doing the same with diffs as well. Thinner oil in the diff- would be worth it tho? compared to the engine and auto (lots of oil) there aint that many rotating parts in a differential, i wouldnt think the gains would be as great.

For 4kw sounds like it is not worth it; better of spending the money on other mods.

Back in Perth my mate had a manual gearbox for the oil, but still at 4kw overall maybe the gearbox gave him a whole 1kw lol

QldKev

Roughly,give or take,your RwHp eqauls FwKw
EG-345RwHp = 345FwKw

This looks like I am reading a script from The Big Bang Theory lol. Maybe a conversation between Sheldon, Leonard with appearances from Penny and one of her boyfriend.
No offence to anyone what so ever. Just reminded me of the show hahahaha.

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
What was your 60 foot time?

My 60ft time was 2.2
:-(

I just couldn't get traction at that track. It was so f*#king annoying.

Last edited:

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
If you knock 0.25 off that sixty foot you might be able to get 0.5 off your 1/4 time..