Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

S V S Alert ?

wal's VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
GTRwilson, there is a picture on page 1 of this topic that will show you where it is GTR.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
where abouts is this?

Directly below and in front of the oil filter. Take the left hand engine cover off and you wil see the switch quite easily. The wiring clip is retained by a tang on the inner side that needs to be levered back very slightly to enable the wiring to be unplugged.

You will probably find a fair bit of oil sitting inside the switch housing and the wiring connector will also be full of oil. I'm thinking it could be this oil in the wiring that sets off the message. I intend to pull the switch, clean it out thoroughly, then try to seal inside it with a silicone material, then reinsert the wiring plug.

Just can't do it at the moment because the young bloke's car is in the beaters.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
OK, visited local Repco this arvo and purchased an oil pressure switch socket. ABW brand, dual size, fits 1inch (25mm) and 1 and 1/16 inch (which it calls 34 mm, but that's wrong - I think it should be 27mm or thereabouts).

The VZ isn't here until next week, so I can't test it for correct fit. Does anybody who has the socket know if I have the right one? The part number if 70829.

wal's VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
How much was the socket from repco Calaber?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
$17 Wal. It's not a Kingchrome like Travy said and it wasn't only $10 but if it fits, it's worth it. If it doesn't, I can return it. As soon as I have had a go at the switch, I'll do a "how to" with the temporary repair.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Checked my sensor and its not leaking.

Are you referring to the socket size needed to remove the top of the oil filter? If so, its a 24mm socket, for $7 from supercheap. Just got me one, tried it and worked.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Checked my sensor and its not leaking.

Are you referring to the socket size needed to remove the top of the oil filter? If so, its a 24mm socket, for $7 from supercheap. Just got me one, tried it and worked.

Nah mate, it's a special socket required to remove the switch itself. If you have a close look, you can see that it's not a normal sort of fitting. The flats are offset so a conventional deep-set socket won't fit over it.

To check your sensor for leaks, did you remove the wiring from the switch? There is a seal around the wiring connection which retains the oil until you pull the wiring connector out.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
ahhhhh, i just pulled back the black cover thingo.

Was working at night, so couldnt tinker too much with it. Will need a closer look tomorrow.

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
I could have got my brand wrong.. it was in a blue packet :p I just ripped it open and threw it away lol
The one i have is dual size also, and I agree with you the measurements stated on it are not right, but it will fit.
My brother works at repco so he may have meant 10 bucks staff price.. *shrugs*
It only cost me $10 anyways :p

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I could have got my brand wrong.. it was in a blue packet :p I just ripped it open and threw it away lol
The one i have is dual size also, and I agree with you the measurements stated on it are not right, but it will fit.
My brother works at repco so he may have meant 10 bucks staff price.. *shrugs*
It only cost me $10 anyways :p

Sounds like I'm on the right track then. Thanks.