Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sam's VX Berlina GenIII

SAMO-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
02' VX Berlina 5.7L
Anyone care to share their thoughts on my power figure?

Talking to others and even a few workshops, I was really hoping for around the 260kw mark...

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Anyone care to share their thoughts on my power figure?

Talking to others and even a few workshops, I was really hoping for around the 260kw mark...

Don't get caught up on dyno numbers. Every car is different and they'll all make different power. 238rwkw through a stalled LS1 with those mods is about right on the money. The stall will rob about 10rwkw on the dyno too, but it will drive much better on the road than the numbers say. What power did it make prior to the work done?

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
That's an excellent gain, you should be happy with that. I bet it's a totally different car to drive now though.

SAMO-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
02' VX Berlina 5.7L
Been a while since I've updated!

Since having the cam installed, I've had a bad run with the old girl!

First- Some old hag decided to re-arrange the front end. Lot of stuffing around with panel beaters, and after 2 months, I got her back!
In the process of repairing it, I got a new OTR, a DUS And I also got the calais front bar, with the fog lights installed.

Second- car has developed some strange symptoms. Excessive fuel usage is the first. I was getting average around 15L/100km combined, but recently it has jumped to around 19-29L/100km. Not sure what this could be..
The other thing it has developed is a very loud slap/knock on cold start ups. Before cam install, she had bad lifter noise, but never any piston slap. Well, now, the slap is clearly evident. Gonna live with it till I can afford a rebuild, or an LS3...

Then the most recent is the electrical antenna won't work... I have bench tested the antenna, working fine. My money is on the BCM, as there is no output to the antenna from this!

Here's a couple of crappy iphone pics:

photo2-1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
if your fuel economy has gone out the window the it could be your oxy sensors. get your local workshop to plug in a tech 2 and see if it's throwing any codes. as for the piston slap, mine's done it since I've had the car with no excess oil usage so I just live with it. LS3 sounds like a good idea. while your buying one can you pick one up for me too. haha

SAMO-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
02' VX Berlina 5.7L
Thanks mate.

Changed the oxy sensors not long ago, and currently not throwing any codes, so i'm stumped! Chev did say the standard injectors were almost at their limit, so i'll be getting some 42lb's soon.

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
doesn't hurt to get bigger injectors. get em from aes racing as fraser who used to work for speed inc now works there. he'll look after you mate.