Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scraping sound from handbrake

janhdt

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh 5.7 m6
I have bought the kits is tjis an easy job please help

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi all,

I couldnt find anything on the internet, so I have scanned in what I was able to grab from Holden

6144917-0_zps4e0f243b.jpg

6144917-1_zps58429d83.jpg

6144917-2_zpsd4fd41b2.jpg

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I had al ook at installing this kit. Mine don't scrape though and as the brake shoes needed to be removed and drilled I didn't bother. If you buy new shoes as well they should now come witht the holes in them already. I'll probably fif the kit if and when the shoes need to be replaced.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Is it common on all early vy's? Mine does not make the scraping sound but then again I've never taked the hand break and rear hub apart..

Craig Facey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
I recently replaced rotors and pads all around on my VTII gen III. Then the handbrake scrape started. So I have fitted the Hand Brake Scrape Kit; Intermittent scraping noises may be heard from the rear of the car while driving. The noise may appear to go away after re-applying hand brake lever. The front lining of the hand brake shoe may contact the inner drum of the rear disc without the hand brake being applied. In mid 2004, a spring was added into production to centralise the park brake shoe in the drum, and reduce the chance of contact when the hand brake is not applied.

Now I still get the scrape! The drivers side wheel doesn't seem to be scrapping anymore (even though I think I installed the spring incorrectly) but the passenger side has been annoying the #### out of me. So I took it all apart and checked everythiing, did a clean and regrease etc, bearing feels solid, rotor guard is straight, nothing fowls when I turn the tyre by hand... but still I am accompanied by the shwoosh shwoosh shwoosh on my travels... Mostly during and for a short time after cornering... :( Any ideas? Surely it gets better than this?

Could the Holden instructions listed above be wrong? i.e. is the spring meant to be installed on the other side and pull in the opposite directin?

Please help me fix this before my blue oval friends hear it! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Craig Facey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
UPDATE after about 500kms the brakes bedded in and there is barely any noise!