Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Selling a car without RWC

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Buying & selling : VicRoads

Registered vehicles
A registered vehicle must be sold with a Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC). You can still transfer registration up to 3 months after it expires. After this time the registration will be cancelled.

Seller’s responsibilities

provide the buyer with a Certificate of Roadworthiness that is no more than 30 days old when the sale takes place.
fill in the ‘seller’ part of the Application for Transfer of Registration form [PDF 339KB, 5pp]

Unregistered vehicles
An unregistered vehicle can be sold without a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

cancel vehicle registration, remove number plates and return them to VicRoads. Refunds on registration are available if you cancel registration before it expires and the registration was in your name.

shouldve sorted out rwc before commiting to lowering the price.

if you listed on the ad that he has to pay for rwc, get some more money off him, go get a rwc, if theres anything that needs fixing, get him to pay for it.

otherwise, jsut cancel the rego and sell it with no rwc.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

shouldve sorted out rwc before commiting to lowering the price.

if you listed on the ad that he has to pay for rwc, get some more money off him, go get a rwc, if theres anything that needs fixing, get him to pay for it.

otherwise, jsut cancel the rego and sell it with no rwc.

Depends if the car is advertised as registered or not. From reading that, if it's advertised as registered and no mention of the RWC, the seller is obligated to providing it.

Reaper

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
the seller is obligated to supply a rwc if its registered the day the sale takes place, regardless of how it was advertised.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Simple process, three choices.
(1) Get the RWC at your expense and go ahead with the deal.
(2) Tell the buyer what the RWC will cost and get the cash before you get it done.
(3) Give him back his $100, get the RWC, then advertise the car again.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909

Registered vehicles
A registered vehicle must be sold with a Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC). You can still transfer registration up to 3 months after it expires. After this time the registration will be cancelled.

* provide the buyer with a Certificate of Roadworthiness that is no more than 30 days old when the sale takes place.
* fill in the ‘seller’ part of the Application for Transfer of Registration form [PDF 339KB, 5pp]

Buyer’s responsibilities

* complete the ‘buyer’ part of the Application for Transfer of Registration form [PDF 339KB, 5pp] submit the form, Certificate of Roadworthiness, receipt of sale, transfer fee and Motor Vehicle Duty (see Transfer and motor vehicle duty fees) to VicRoads within 14 days of the sale.
To submit your transfer application and Statutory Declaration (if required):
* post it to: VicRoads, GPO Box 1644, Melbourne, VIC 3001 (cheque or money order)
* visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre (cash, cheque, EFTPOS, Visa or MasterCard).

Unregistered vehicles
An unregistered vehicle can be sold without a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

* cancel vehicle registration, remove number plates and return them to VicRoads. Refunds on registration are available if you cancel registration before it expires and the registration was in your name.

Buyer’s responsibilities

* ask the seller for a receipt and keep this as proof of purchase and ownership.
* get an Unregistered Vehicle Permit (if you want to drive the vehicle home)
* register the vehicle (if it will be used for driving on the roads), see: light vehicle registration.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

SV6 P-Plater

Dont Speed In Surbubia
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
So the car passed roadworthy.
For example say i brought the car, when they transfer the car into my name, does Vicroads assess the car?
Do they go over it again?

because I've been told they do, but it didn't happened to me when i transferred the car last year into my name with rego.

Its just i took the SSl's out of the car to get a roadworthy. And the bloke brought the car with the springs, so i need to put them back in.