Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 1 or 2

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
What is the major visible differences between a series 1 and series 2 VY? My mate just bought a debadged VY and he swears its a series 2 although it was built in June 2003

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute 04 VYIISS 5.7 M6
Mate I believe the only real difference is with engine output! Series 1 which I have is pushing 235kw standard, Series 2 they let it breathe a little better in the exhaust system, giving it around 245kw. And I think series 2 they eliminated the engine trouble by changing the type of piston ring in engine. There probably is more, but I think they might be little asthetic changes!

http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/commodore/vy/index.html

Series II: August 2003 - August 2004

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Series II had the lower half of the door mirrors painted the same colour as the car and not just all black as the Series I were.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Series 2 berlinas have foggies, series 1 don't.

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Spark leeds are red and not grey. i think this is how you tell the newer engine from old with piston slap issues (leeds can be changed i supose), i heard piston ring is teflon coated dont know how true this is.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
the interior light has a sunglasses holder and focuses reading lights as standard in S2.

Cruise control is standard on execs in series 2, so is air con.

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
Well going on the last few posts im still not convinced.

My mates has the colour matched mirrors and the red leads. No glasses holder but has the focused map lights. no cruise control though. his build was june 03

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute 04 VYIISS 5.7 M6
It should really tell us what series it is on the identification labels (car plates) but it doesn't.

I don't think your mates car is a series II if it was back made in June 2003.
A easy way to tell if it is Hot house Green it's a series I and if it's cosmo mica then it's a series II. (That's if it hasn't been repainted)

Does he know what model it is S, SV8, SS, Calais, Acclaim, Berlina and so on.
If all else fails call the transport people ask them what it is.

Major changes introduced with the Series II include: A new high-output GEN III 5.7 litre V8 engine, producing peak power of 245kW @ 5,600rpm, is now specified on Commodore SS sedan, SS Ute, and SV8. Holden Calais and Berlina models benefit from a GEN III V8 power boost to 235kW @ 5,200rpm. ECOTEC V6, Supercharged V6 and GEN III V8 powerplants are engineered to meet strict new emission level requirements. 245kW V8s gain additional frontal rigidity from a strut brace mounted to the strut towers and spanning the engine bay.

All models feature fresh, individual interior trim treatments. Convenience and comfort features such as cruise control, front power windows and adjustable front seat lumbar support are now standard across the range, and a sunglasses holder and rear reading lamps are now standard fitment on all sedans and wagons.

Calais and Acclaim models receive the added safety benefit of active head restraints, all models are equipped with audible and visual driver's seatbelt warning, and steering column modifications across the new range assist in reducing the risk of occupant injury in a frontal crash.

Also available for the first time, a tailored, factory fitted sunroof is optional on all sedans. All wagons are fitted with aircraft-style cargo rails in the rear compartment for extra tie-down security and flexibility, and load-covering retracting roller blinds are standard fitment. Wagons have new jewelled tail lamps with a circular design theme.

The Calais now takes on a more European-accented sports persona. Stand-out styling accents include a bolder front facia with sports bar grille and hexagonal mesh inserts, black bezel headlamps, lower ride height, SS-style side skirts, 17-inch five-spoke alloy wheels, rear facia skirts and unique tail lamps. Interiors are highlighted by all-black headliner and pillar trim, sports profile steering wheel, unique facia and colour-keyed console surround and suede-finish soft fabric trim. Extra luxury touches include Caprice-style driver's seat memory settings and heated 'memory' exterior mirrors. When reverse gear is selected, the passenger-side mirror dips to show low level hazards.

Berlina models are distinguished by twin fog lamps, black lower facia mouldings and nine-spoke alloy wheels. More luxurious interior finishes include new monotone seat trim in soft velour, leather-wrapped steering wheel, handbrake and auto shifter and satin chrome highlights.

The S and SV8 now have body-coloured grille and rear licence plate surrounds and spoiler-mounted stop lamps with clear lens. Both feature new alloy wheels - five-spoke on the S, which receives larger 17-inch wheels, and dual five-spoke on the SV8 - are matched to new-specification tyres, tuned for improved handling and firmer, quieter ride characteristics. Body coloured exterior mirrors and amber indicator lenses also set the SV8 apart.

omegaman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
June 03 definately series 1, no question. Bit of a worry if he didnt check it first!!

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Mossman said:
Well going on the last few posts im still not convinced.

My mates has the colour matched mirrors and the red leads. No glasses holder but has the focused map lights. no cruise control though. his build was june 03

u answered your own question...

No cruise control, no glasses holder = series 1