Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series I or II

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
How do I know if I have a series one or a series two engine? It's a VN V6 executive 1991. I'm getting a new thermostat and apparently the gasket is different depending on the series.

Thanks,
Paddy

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
it would probably be a series 2 engine. do you have a photo of your engine bay?

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Thanks,
Don't have a picture now but I can post one in the morning. Is there some way I can tell by just looking at the engine?

Paddy

geta

Reaction score
if the hose from the top of the radiator goes to the front of your engine, its series 2. Being 1991, it should be series 2 unless someones dropped a series 1 engine in it later :S

-dave

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
If the fuel rails are black and round then it's a series 1, if they are large chunky and silver/grey then it's s2

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
paddyj said:
How do I know if I have a series one or a series two engine? It's a VN V6 executive 1991. I'm getting a new thermostat and apparently the gasket is different depending on the series.

Thanks,
Paddy

see if some body can take you down to get ur thermostat gasket, that way take ur old one

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
gaskets dont cost, so buy two if worse coems to worse :)

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Ok the fuel rails are black and round. When standing in front of the car, the top radiator hose goes down the left side of the engine and into the back, lower radiator hose goes straight in to water pump.

What's a flex plate?

Yeah I got a series 2 gasket a lunch time, it was only 95 cents so I'll just get a series 1 gasket tomorrow and compare them when I do the change. I didn't realise they were so cheap because I was quoted 9bucks over the phone.

Is there any power/performance difference between I and II, why did they release another series?

Paddy

GroopA

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Impulse VZ SV6
If the radiator hose is going around to the back of the engine, you got a series 1.
Prick of a location to chuck the thermostat. never could figure out how to get to it without ripping off the throttle body inlet manifold?