Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Serious problem

Shaun Brannelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 2006
12 months ago my ve omega started to run rough then wouldn't start at all. It sat in the driveway ever since.. it only has 118k on the clock. Still turns over but no bang. Ive asked around and got no real help. Tried a diagnostic check,..nothing. Apparently they tell you bugger all. Any input would be greatly appreciated

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
who tells you bugger all?
what did you get told
could be a lot of things
any more info

Shaun Brannelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 2006
who tells you bugger all?
what did you get told
could be a lot of things
any more info
Had a mobile mechanic put a diagnostic tool on it, reported no problems... He actually said they tell you nothing helpful. Have a lot of different opinions when I ask around. From crank angle sensor to mafs, fuel pump, spark plugs. Unfortunately even spark plugs seem out of my technical range now, (given that manifold removal is necessary) I'm not stupid but checking a lot of "possibilities" when I have no tools is very difficult.
Situation is,..I've checked fuses.. Airflow seems clear, not sure about fuel pump but I hear the winds and clicks as it usually did(not sure that even is fuel pump?) Seems to wind over a little slow but doesn't fire, battery is full charge reading 12.3v.

Chevone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais V 6ltr Auto
Could possibly be the fuel pump, had similar problem on my ve just cranking over and no start. They have an intank fuel pump and no filter to clean inline like older cars, so when you get the tank low they pickup crap and cant just be cleaned easy. Last one i got car started instantly and fixed problem

Shaun Brannelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 2006
Could possibly be the fuel pump, had similar problem on my ve just cranking over and no start. They have an intank fuel pump and no filter to clean inline like older cars, so when you get the tank low they pickup crap and cant just be cleaned easy. Last one i got car started instantly and fixed problem

Cool, thank you for your insight. It has done a few k's on dirt roads and was driven on empty quite a bit in it's last few years. Replacement is the only option for fuel pump as far as I've read ? Not that expensive and fairly basic? Will try that in the next week or so. Cheers again.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
the fuel pump and sender are one unit with a strainer in the tank, now depending on the year and build date etc you could get at the access panel under the rear seat (06 to late 07) after that its tank out, not easy, need the right tools to disconnect fuel line at pump and tool to remove from tank, extremely hard to remove sender with the old screwdriver method, I'm sure there is a pressure valve on the fuel rail that you can check the fuel pressure, ignition on, wait for check to finish, then off then depress valve should be lots of fuel/pressure eliminates pump

Shaun Brannelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 2006
the fuel pump and sender are one unit with a strainer in the tank, now depending on the year and build date etc you could get at the access panel under the rear seat (06 to late 07) after that its tank out, not easy, need the right tools to disconnect fuel line at pump and tool to remove from tank, extremely hard to remove sender with the old screwdriver method, I'm sure there is a pressure valve on the fuel rail that you can check the fuel pressure, ignition on, wait for check to finish, then off then depress valve should be lots of fuel/pressure eliminates pump
Super helpful, will test fuel pressure before any major operations and report outcome.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Timing chain is a real possibility. I'd be getting another mechanic who isnt of the opinion that a scan tool tells you nothing at all. The mechanic sounds like he was expecting the tool to tell him what to replace.

Shaun Brannelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 2006
Timing chain is a real possibility. I'd be getting another mechanic who isnt of the opinion that a scan tool tells you nothing at all. The mechanic sounds like he was expecting the tool to tell him what to replace.
OK, cool. Is there a way to diagnose a timing issue without the car actually running? That sounds expensive. Would the diagnostic tool pick up such a problem? And what type of thing does the D.T. actually report? Holden want $130 to run their diagnostic tests and maybe $200 to tow car there, I wonder what they may or may not find for big $$$

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Scan tool could/should pick up the issue. What happens is the chains stretch, so your cam position sensors start giving incorrect signals.

As for repair cost, timing chains arent all that expensive to fix. Probably around $1500-2000.

But first step before jumping into anything is find a decent mechanic to look at it. A scantool, depending on the proprietry licenses it has, and in the correct hands can tell you more than you need.