Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

service vehicle soon warning. is it the oil pressure sensor?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
just wondering, mine flashes the service vehicle soon but only on occasions. what can happen if the sensor/ switch is not replaced?

Not sure - but if the oil pressure is really down you can kill an engine in no time. Second hand switch cost me $70 - cheap fix and stopped the wife from worry.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
with the fog light wiring thats right. My acclaim had the wiring, a car never designed to have foglights from factory.

The SX6 Adventra, complete with fog light cutouts and bracketry in the front bar, had no wiring, neither does our VZ Equipe.

As for the SVS warning I never realised or paid attention to that. Is it possible to clear it same way at the service reminder? I had Service something soon pop up 2 days ago, but I just cleared it that way through the arrow keys on the dash.

I was told by Holden that all VZ models came with the same wiring harness out of the factory
their idiots then.

Ive been through enough VZ dashs and wiring looms now to know thats a load of croc. It used to be true back in the VS day (some of those even had the entire BT1 wiring pack with wiring running up the pillars for flashing lights), but no more.

If they even looked at their service manual it lists the different spec cables.

doms1

Reaction score
Members Ride
BANNED
Not sure - but if the oil pressure is really down you can kill an engine in no time. Second hand switch cost me $70 - cheap fix and stopped the wife from worry.

I paid $55 for a new 1 from holden,guy said very common fault

scud3805

Reaction score
G'day Mate i had the exact same issue the" SVS "warning signal kept popping up Cranbourne Holden (very honest) told me that there are only 2 options that can be the fault 1. the oil pressure sensor or 2. Your computer software may need a upgrade. Yes the oil sensor is cheap (genuine holden $70 ) and easy to do BUT the ONLY!! way you can erase the "SVS "signal is with a Tech 2 unit and most WILL charge for that service as they are a business not a charity at a cost of around $60 i was charged $180 for the job which i thought was reasonable or if it was a software upgrade it would of been $120 bill
Cranbourne Holden weren't the only Holden dealer to advise me what the problem could be they were Barry Bourke Berwick and Booran Holden Dandenong both said the same thing but were to expensive compared to Cranbourne
So end of the day its upto to you on which way you go Good Luck

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
u dont need a tech2 to get rid of the message, u got ripped. the message dissapears once the car is off. also if that doesnt work, disconnect the battery so that it clears the fault

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
The SVS message is exactly that, just a message- it does not give an indication of the fault.

It would appear from other posts that if this message was generated by say, the oil pressure sensor. It will reset of its own accord if fixed etc. It also appears from my own experience and others that if other faults generate this message (SVS). You will need at least a scantool to erase the fault code and hence the SVS message.

Looks like a heirachy of control depending on the fault logged.

End transmission.......beep.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Enrico is correct. If your oil pressure sensor is the cause of the SVS message, once you replace the switch, the message disappears. You do NOT need to get a Tech 2 to clear it, and it's not like the normal service interval warnings - you can't clear it on the trip computer. You have to fix the fault to get rid of the warning (assuming that the switch is the cause of the message in the first place).

scud3805

Reaction score
I think some of you people are not understanding what the initial issue is the"SVS" warning light is appearing up on the dash which indicates that there is a fault ... what fault??? if you like and if you have heaps of cash change everything that you think that needs changing or or get a Tech 2 unit to diagnosis the fault and only change that, which is what i did and for that service there is a fee and fixed with no issues or as someone has said "ive been ripped off " you tell me were i could have got it done cheaper and NO HASSLES here in Melbourne and i will be glad to go and have it out with Cranbourne Holden. But one thing i will say i want ACTUAL FACT no hearsay JUST THE FACTS Thanks looks like i'll be getting a refund

rusty748

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
I had the SVS warning coming on when ever the car was at idle I replaced the oil pressure sensor in about 2 min once I bought a 27mm deep socket and the sensor. The warning cleared on its own. The sensor cost me $70 from Burson Auto parts (formerly Motor traders) in Adelaide

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
well according to the holden techs, they usually say its either one of 2 things,

1. oil pressure sensor
2. firmware upgrade

so if they charged you to replace the oil pressure sensor, then charge you again to clear the fault, then you have been ripped off, as there is no need to clear the svs soon message, as it disappears as the problem is fixed

if they charged you to use a tech2 first to diagnose the fault, then they replaced the sensor, then yea fair enough u should pay for both services they done.