Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shed security - alarms, cameras, roller door locks? Best way to protect your investments?

marty351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl gemini
Current setup:

Electric front gate - on remote (connected to home alarm system)
Sensor lights in eves (10 LED downlights)
Roller door on remote (again connected to home alarm)
IP cameras in front yard, driveway and in garage (also one in backyard incase they jump neighbors fence - fence is 6 foot)
(cameras are hooked into monitor in house so I can see all around my property and can also be veiwed through TV in living room using output from camera NVR device - can also access from app on phone)
Garage is separate from house (less than 4 meters) but is brick not metal. power and comms is underground (very costly)
Sensor light in garage that turns on overhead lights for better camera images
Alarm sensor in garage (connected to home alarm)
GPS tracking installed in both vehicles that are in garage
GPS tracker will kill power to fuel pump via phone app
House has roller shutters on all windows and crimsafe mesh/bars on toilet window and front/rear doors.

Even then, most of it is a visible deterrent and I'm hoping that the opportunistic thief will rob another house, because as stated above - unless the police want to help, the offender will most likely get a slap on the wrist and I'll be left with a melted car or a burnt down house.

Spent a fair bit setting all this up - but I'll be damned if some self entitled prick who thinks he/she can help themselves to my pride and joys is going to get half a chance to do so. There's also nothing worse the then feeling violated knowing that someones been in your home.

Cannot stress CCTV enough to look after your cars/house 24x7, 365
Don't care if its a cheap system or expensive one - or if you need a security license to install - I feel it needs to be installed if you want to watch over your home/family/cars/dogs/whatever is in your property

Fort Knox, eat your heart out.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Yeah, I went all out with this place. Last place the ex missus liked to leave leave the doors unlocked, windows wide open etc.

Was a newer place - but we got "broken into" twice while we lived there - both times she never locked the front door, just pulled it shut and didn't ever bother with the deadlock above the handle. Both times insurance declined to pay out as the Police report stated the door was unlocked. Both times the neighbors rang the cops for me - they were a nice good old Italian couple.

Having stated that - if your front door just has a lock in the handle and that's all you use, I recommend a deadlock being installed above it straight away. Use the longest, fattest screws you can to anchor the striker plate in the door jamb - so it can't be kicked it, I also recommend this for your garage side doors, see if you can get them into the brickwork as well.

Another sort of side note for cameras, I'm using a Uni View NVR - http://en.uniview.com/Products/NVR/2_SATA/NVR302-08S/
Only issue I have with it, is that I have it installed in a cupboard comms rack in the linen cupboard in the centre of the house. The two drives in it are quite loud while its on and I can hear the whine noise all over the house at night.

I also had a few issues when I first bought this place due to a rental/drug lab a doors down. Had a few people in my driveway at night since the houses look so similar and had the side door of the garage kicked in twice (hence the bit about the long, fat screws above) - also make sure you have a good quality door - not some cheap hollow thing.
I've gotten pretty lucky with pricing for most things as I've got two good mates who are sparkys, and I've got a cabling and security license through work, and that most of the shutters where installed when I bought the place.

Neighbors in my current place are pricks - one extended the crap out of his house without warning and was working public holidays, nights, before 7am etc and is looking like moving in 3 generations of his family. The other neighbors I've literally only ever seen to 3 times in nearly 2 years. Can hear them and their grand kids and I assume their son (who lives in a tacked on complete DIY looking piece of crap on the back of their place) all the damn time however.

I feel more secure with everything I've done, but I have completely neglected the other parts of my place like landscaping, painting and new carpets etc.
Next step is to plant some large tall bushes/hedges to make climbing over the fences a lot harder and to "seal in" the property from the neighbors.

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
One thing to add to this. Young guys these days can jump 6foot high fences with no problems. They don't seem to be deterred by them. A mate had some prick jumping his back fence a few times and needed to stop them. He had colour bond tin fence. He got some really strong glue and put it along the top of the fence and broke up some glass and embedded that in the glue with the points of the glass sticking up. Needless to say no one has gotten over his back fence since. Lol

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
One thing to add to this. Young guys these days can jump 6foot high fences with no problems. They don't seem to be deterred by them. A mate had some prick jumping his back fence a few times and needed to stop them. He had colour bond tin fence. He got some really strong glue and put it along the top of the fence and broke up some glass and embedded that in the glue with the points of the glass sticking up. Needless to say no one has gotten over his back fence since. Lol

Yeah that's a pretty good idea - My fences are wood and have those possum strips on the rear ones, thanks to neighbors at the rear.
I'm not sure how embedded glass installed on the top would go down if the offenders report it after being caught...

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Wow, some really good ideas! Your setup sounds grouse stockies, definitely worth looking into a setup like that.

Looking into bollards and garage door locks like these (but I won't be paying $100+, I'll make some).

Any experience with those wifi cctv systems? Or are the wired ones the best?

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Wifi ones seem to be extremely easy to hack/get into with default admin passwords - even when you have changed them on your NVR.
D-link wifi ones are better. but at that price point - your wallet will want to have the wired ones instead.(unless your renting - but even then the property owner may let you have them installed, as it benefits them too)
Hikvision have a heap of security problems too. If you don't mind that and you are just after a simple system - the wifi ones are ok, if your one of those people who don't bother changing default passwords on cameras and NVR's.

Cameras are a great visual deterrent - particularly at night, but unless you can view the footage from outside your property (ie at work or on your phone while not at home) I think its a bit of a waste. Having said that - some setups require a static IP for this and the service providers (optus/telstra etc) know how to change for that.

Fayeb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Holden Commodore
You can secure the garden shed through a number of ways. A huge range of padlocks and lockable door furniture are available in the market. Such accessories will help you to secure the shed to an extent.

Keeping CCTV surveillance at the shed will provide you alerts when trouble occurs. Also, the CCTV recording can be used as the valuable evidence when the case is filed.

Here are some things you should consider before getting a CCTV camera solutions

Camera Type:

There are many cameras available in the market like the dome, bullet, IR etc. Each camera has different functions and features. So when you purchase a camera, ensure that it suits your requirements.

Budgets:
Get your cameras according to the budget you plan

Camera Position:
Decide where to place the camera. Normally people keep the camera near the front door or gate.