Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shuddering on startup

da_warped_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Hate to say this but it could be the timing chain start up rattle as per description provided above :(

How many Ks on the engine? 100+

Also let me know the sound of your engine while idling at maximum operation temperature?? So after a drive while idling Is it grumbly or nice smooth and persistent.

If it's a misfire type of issue, I'd start by replacing the fuel filter as this could be a cause, and fill up the tank with BP ultimate 98 octane and see how u go if it still exists then check spark plugs and replace.

Maybe try get the sound on vid as that will help us try help you. :)

Dave.

Its only got 90,000 Km on the clock. At max temp the idling is smooth and i have not noticed this problem affect any other operation of the car. If it happens again ill try and get a video going. I run on 95 octane all the time, might look at changing the spark plugs.

I recently changed the paper manifold gasket to the metal/rubber or silicone gasket, is it reusable or will have have to buy a new one when taking the manifold off to access spark plugs.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
I very highly doubt a lack of oil would cause this, when cars are started and an oil gallery is blocked, they actually run really well, untill they seize. And it would take a lot less than 30 seconds to fill the galleries.

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
The metal and rubber gaskets are reusable

VZCALAIS190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Barbados Mica VZ Calais
That's true... mine sounds perfectly normal on idle has slight fluctuation in revs but i think it may be a coil on the way... Only sometimes it rattles on start up when cold can't understand why though? Filled it with a couple extra hundred mls of oil to see if it reduces the rattle, could that be it you reckon?

This will be one of two things either one of the 3 timing chains have stretched a tiny bit and the tensioners are playing up.

Or the oil drain valve is allowing oil to drain back overnight which causes a lack of sufficient lubrication on first start up of the day.

Never over fill ur oil thou, what oil and grade are u using and how many Ks u on.

So what you reckon i should do? Is it easy to change the oil drain valve incase its faulty? Don't wanna be causing more damage if its not the timing chains... Just clicked over 130k i'm using all genuine oils and filters so the oil will be a 10w/30w grade. Should i change to 10w/40w?

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
10w40 would be better, 10w30 is for fuel economy.

VZCALAIS190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Barbados Mica VZ Calais
Was told by the guy at Holden to not go thicker then 10/30w when i bought the parts for service... apparanty it can cause damage? Would it hurt to keep using the 10/30w?

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Maybe if you live in Tasmania. I would use 10w30 when new, but after 100,000km, 10w40 is more appropriate. You could use 10w40 when new, but it won't need it. That Holden guy is obviously going by spec, it may cause damage going to 20w50, but that's about it.

So you all those cheap skates who put in 20w50 to get rid of a tick, your doing more harm than good.