Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SIDI Driveshaft issue

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
hi i have a my10 sv6 manual. I have noticed recently that under heavy acceleration in 1st and sometimes second gear that i get a strange noise coming from the rear. has anybody heard of the ve commodores having a drive shaft problem or anything like that. the only modifications i have done to it are SSSL's allround with munroe gt struts and shocks, a growler kit and i put some 20's with 275's on the rear ... any ideas / help would be much appreciated

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
if its coming from the rear it could be your diff...It's still under warranty do best get holden to take it for a drive. how heavy acceleration are we talking....as in no hooning?

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
well it does it most noticibly when the car is cold ... ie transmission oil and all that too it does it then under normal acceleration but its definately not hooning when it does it ... my wife makes it do it to

nazphu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Does it cause vibrations throughout the car? I had similar issues (repeatedly) with my SV6. For mine, the problem occurred under heavy acceleration and caused noise and vibrations from the rear of the car.

Turns out it was the driveshaft coupling joints, the bolts were loose and the o-rings were torn. Happened again a few months later, and then again a few months later. Was replaced under manufacturer warranty the first time then holden parts warranty the next 2 times.

No idea what is causing it, holden wont cover any diagnostics to find whats causing it to happen all the time, so they can pick up the bill when it fails every few months.

marcu5

Reaction score
Members Ride
02VX & 07VE SS
Had my drive shaft in my VE SS replaced under extended warranty (swann) about a month ago.
Everytime I would go over a bump in the road there would be this rattle noise (like a loose towbar) but it was the bearings in the shaft.
It can't be repaired like in the previous models I was told so it was a complete replacement.
Holden took care of it all which was quite good. :)

(also had to harmonic balancer replaced about 2 weeks before hand..)

As nazphu said "holden wont cover any diagnostics to find whats causing it to happen all the time", (same as swann extended warranty) this essentially cost me about $450 in diagnosis for the above mentioned work on the shaft and balancer..

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
Well i have had my mechanic look at it and he has informed me that it is indeed the drive shaft. I had a look while it was up on the hoist and the angle the shaft is making out of the diff is really bad. I geuss i am going to have to take the SSSL's out and maybe go for SSL's or even back to FE2 ... dont really want to though is there any other suggestions

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
lowering the car should reduce the drive shaft angle so shouldnt realy be a issue

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
are we talking about the drive shaft from the gearbox to the diff or the cv shafts from the diff to the wheels?

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
they run from diff to wheels ... i suppose its the cv shafts i just decided to call them drive shaft