Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slow cranking VT

SLAF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
My VT V6 always starts but is very sluggish turning over. The auto elec says it's charging fine and the battery is good. He suggested leaving it overnight (something I'm not keen to do) so that he could check it in the morning. What do starters do if they are on the way out as I suspect this to be the problem? Thanks guys.

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
mine does the same on and off usually only when it's cold

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Starter motors can be sluggish when they wear out. I know mine was before I replaced it.

rpm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT WAGON
mine was slowly becoming sluggish for a while then all of a sudden the battery died, replaced it and now my car starts fine everytime.:thumbsup:

stes mad VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 V6
mine does the same thing must just be a vt thing

hotVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
I recommend getting your starter motor checked out. As it gets old it will be sucking heaps of guts out of your battery, if it gets really bad if may feel like you've got a flat battery. Check your battery and alternator first. Mine was absolutely fine when cold (like first thing in the morning) but pain in the arse to start when warm.
My VT had been doing the same thing for ages (as long as I have owned it - 2 yrs) but finally gave up the ghost over the weekend. I thought it was just a commodore thing but now she starts almost instantly - none of that cough, cough brrmm thing that used to happen.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Mine does the same thing , turns over a couple of times then stops then fires up

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
+1 for starter motor.

I used to have a VT auto, and it was sluggish as you describe. I converted it to manual, and the manual starter that went in was from a car with about half the kms and it started much neater.