Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Snapped coolant sensor, How to remove?

MSE089

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 6sp S2 VT SS
So long story short, i somehow snapped off my coolant sensor. Not sure if it was the wrong one or not but i was screwing a new coolant sensor in and it was bout 3/4ths of the way in, i could still see thread so i thought a couple more turns would do it then snap. the sensor part snapped off of the head and is now stuck in my engine block

Is there anyway to remove this? or should i just send it to the mechanics before i break something else.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
drill it and then try unscrewing it?? thats only thing i can think of, you will probly have to take head off though might be asier to give it to someone if you cant.

MSE089

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 6sp S2 VT SS
cant use vicegrips as its snapped off inside the thread, nothing is coming out of the hole so cant grip nothing

Might try and drill it out but the air box and overflow reservoir might get in the way..

Any other suggestions? dont really wannt take it to the mechanic and be charged an arm n leg to remove it.

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
Iv done the same thing on my 202. But mine was seized in there and i couldnt budge it, just snapped. Iv Drilled it then used an easy out but I snapped that in there too. I'm fuct now. Been told to try and c if I can weld a bit of rod on it, then weld a socket on the end, then heat it up with oxy to try and get it out. If that don't work it's off with the head after i just got it rebuilt. :(

CommieKal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 SV6 Ute
Use a smalll blow torch on the engine block around the area to heat and expand it then try the 'easy out' trick...

When i say 'blow torch' I mean the small gas ones that double as soldiering irons. Or you mothers/wifes.GF's Creme Brulee kitchen ones :p

Last edited: