Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So Im An Apprentice Now... Money Is Short... How Do You Compensate For It?

cracker

Reaction score
yeah it could be worse im a 2nd year sparky...with no work, so i make around $70 a week then pending how many days i work on top ussaly 70-150 ****ing terrible
also try and not buy takeaway food easy way to waste money, also home brew beer!

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
1) pack your lunch
2) don't drink, smoke etc
3) buy drinking in bulk - iced coffee is on sale at coles @ St. Agnes for $2 - get 5 for a week or whatnot
4)tvshack.net - don't rent dvds and ****
5) get a weekend job as a cheakout chick or whatnot - 5 or so hours an afternoon - 45-70 post tax - use that as your "spending money" - Kmart at TTP usually are looking for people

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
if your almost 21 just hold on
when you turn 21 you become a mature age apprentice and the wage will increase quite a bit
for me im on $9.50hr 2nd year, i will be a third year in a month or two then november mature age apprentice which is about $15hr

If you start your apprenticeship on junior wages then those wages stick for the entire length of the apprenticeship. The only way to get mature age wages as an apprentice is to start your apprenticeship as a mature age apprentice.
I started my apprenticeship when I was 20. I'm 24 now, 4th year apprentice and still on junior rates. I'm not complaining though, wages have still been decent and the difference between junior and mature age rates in the 4th year are very slim anyway.

To the OP, just budget and you'll be alright. You're lucky you're still at home.. when I started my apprenticeship and I was renting a place with my missus (now ex) and had a newborn to support. We struggled but we got by. Now I'm living with my grandfather paying only $100 board per week and earning an average of about $900 take home each week and I'm still struggling. Now matter how much money you earn, it never seems to be enough!

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
If you start your apprenticeship on junior wages then those wages stick for the entire length of the apprenticeship. The only way to get mature age wages as an apprentice is to start your apprenticeship as a mature age apprentice.
I started my apprenticeship when I was 20. I'm 24 now, 4th year apprentice and still on junior rates. I'm not complaining though, wages have still been decent and the difference between junior and mature age rates in the 4th year are very slim anyway.

To the OP, just budget and you'll be alright. You're lucky you're still at home.. when I started my apprenticeship and I was renting a place with my missus (now ex) and had a newborn to support. We struggled but we got by. Now I'm living with my grandfather paying only $100 board per week and earning an average of about $900 take home each week and I'm still struggling. Now matter how much money you earn, it never seems to be enough!

must be diffrent from trade to trade and state to state

being a apprentice panel beater in sa it does increase when you hit 21years old
did last year for the apprentice painter at work

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
ATM im a kitchen hand earning $18.30 an hour but on sundays i earn $25 an hour.

Im starting my apprenticeship in a couple of weeks as a chef. I work in a pub so its better pay then an actual restaurant.

1st year is paying

mon-fri $9.23 an hour
saturday $11.54 an hour
sunday $16.15 an hour
pub hollidays $23.08 an hour

Pretty good money for a 1st year I should be bringing in $350 -$400 a week.

I just brought a motorbike so ill be only going through about $20 a week in fuel now. $10 for the moto and $10 for the car. Instead of $100 in fuel driving the VL 600kms a week or so.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i did the 10 weeks first up with the MTA, trick to saving money is STAY AWAY FROM THE DAMN VENDING MACHINES!!!!:p
but on a more serious note, might sound gay, but the postie bike will become your best friend on your first and second year if you cant find a second income.

also depending on where you are with the MTA, some employers ahve been known to pay you and extra 2-3 bucks an hour,few of my mates from the mta were on about $12 on their second year when their employer gave bonuses for good work.

also, dont piss off or mess around with either of the marks at the MTA.... you will ahve workshop cleaning for the whole 10 weeks trust me on that one....

also look for casual servicing work at workshops on weekends if they need it, cos theres extra money in that, its not great but every bit helps

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
Well i'm a fresh 1st year electronics apprentice and i take home $298 PW
I have almost $5000 worth of debt with various people/organisations.
i travel 600 K's a week to work in a V6 and go through two tanks of petty a week - over $120 worth.
i make my own lunch, smoke rollies instead of packets of ciggies (saves a shitload of money) and if i go out anywhere, i don't drink. I'm living with my brother at the moment and pay $50 a week rent which is pretty reasonable. I do the odd bit of home theater and car audio install. Basically try to make money any which way i can, every dollar helps.
I'm looking for another part time job cause it's very very hard on this amount of money to get by.
I guess i'm pretty lucky i have a supportive family who can help me when i get stuck.
I get paid on wednesday morning, and it's all gone by wednesday night.
It's very hard for all apprentices but just think of the reward at the end of it all, it can only get better!

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Last edited:

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
2nd job, that was my saviour when i was a apprentice.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
When i was a 1st and 2nd year i worked as much overtime as i could including saturdays and i got by fine. Id easily pull 400 after OT in my first year and 500 as a 2nd with the base rates being 300 & 400 respectively