Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So the big Question Normal or Electric Handbreak?

Serobix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF sv6
As i said in title, now don't get me wrong i like the idea of an electric handbreak but it has its ups and downs, i've done dangerous driving courses, i also know how to skid/burnouts, but im not writing this in regards to that.

There is some situations where a "Normal" Handbreak will come into a must, such as dangerous situations on the road, someone pulling out on u sometimes the break isn't enough if u can get ur car to swerve around them etc now i know it would rarely happen, but there is also **** like ur breaks failing but i doubt that will happen

Anyway has anyone done this ? taken out their "Electric" for a "normal" one, ? if so how mcuh did u pay did u do it ur self ? And if u havn't does anyone have a price idea ? i've thought about it i doubt i will do it but its just something i gave thought at one point.

Also whats your opinions on the electric handbreak "WHICH DO YOU PREFER NORMAL OR ELECTRIC" ? and why do you prefer!

Serobix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF sv6
Can a mod change the title to So the big Question Normal or Electric Handbreak?

bretto86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Reading up on the electric handbrake it can be used in event of brake failure & works in conjunction with ABS to prevent picking up brakes.
Can't see any other legit reason to replace.

Also doubt it would be legal, roadworthy, covered by warranty, etc.
Not to mention likely to be expensive to swap, where would you put manual brake...

Not a good idea IMO

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
i think there would be enough safety/assist features in the vf to do a better job and bringing the car to a halt than the average person reefing on the handbrAKE.

i doubt anyone has done the conversion back to cable style handbAKE, it would not be cost effective to keep it legal.

if you prefer a tradional handbrAKE, may i suggest buying a late model VE instead.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
To get it legal it would need to be engineered which would be a timely and costly exercise not worth it tbh.

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Can a mod change the title to So the big Question Normal or Electric Handbreak?

Can a mod change the title to So the big Question Normal or Electric Handbrake?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Can a mod change the title to So the big Question Normal or Electric Handbrake?

im not changing it again, he can live with the spelling error

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
I'm used to the electric brake now, just remembering to put my foot on the brake pedal when releasing it was all I had any trouble with.
I really like the hill start assist, it really saves the clutch, you really notice it working on those step hills at an intersection.

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
Only negative for me is sometimes forgetting to stab the brake pedal to disengage it. I use the handbrake a lot in traffic and in that situation I prefer something hand-operated.