Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Softer Ride(lowered)

lgnd3800

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
BUSted VR
g'day guysi had my car lowered about 2-3months ago and im sick of the ride, some dips and bumps nearly throw you off the road because its so stiff, i still have std shocks, anyone got any ideas ?

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
how low did you drop it?
if you did it yourself then take the car to pedders and tell them the problem and see what they say? maybe try a different set of shocks and maybe (dunno if this makes a diff) but you could go a bit bigger tyre profile (if your running low profile tyres that is)

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Unfortantulay, its a price you have to pay!

It can be reduce by using a softer spring, pedders are better for that then king.

You can install softer bushes, but it will reduce handling by alot... softer though.

You have to under stand the physics behind it, if you reduce the amount of spring, oyu reduce the amount of dampening the car has for bumps.

Start buy putting shorter throw shocks in to match the throw of the spring.

I have Super Low King Springs, Shorter Shocks, 18"s and nolathane bushes throughout the car, it rides like a ****ing pig, but, it looks great and under cornering, handles awsome, i feel stuck to the road when i have good tires on... and when i dont, there is hardly any roll when sideways :)

basicaly, you cant really go lower than stock without increased harshness... thats just how it works...

So,

Get Shocks and New Bushes... thats it mate... maybe try softer springs..

aZk.

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
g'day guysi had my car lowered about 2-3months ago and im sick of the ride, some dips and bumps nearly throw you off the road because its so stiff, i still have std shocks, anyone got any ideas ?

Lower springs mean a stiffer ride. A stiffer ride means BETTER HANDLING but reduced smoothness. This is why the shocks on sports cars and trucks are so stiff. Lowered spring sould give you singnificantly better handling.

For this same reason commodore police cars are lower than normal commodores They have fe2 suspention (fe2=firmness equivanent two). They are not lower for appearance but for better handling.

In your case i would suggest replacing the stocks as they are probally worn and now are working at a different height. Also a possiblity is that your sprongs are fitted wrong. Did you buy them lowered or cut your old ones.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
go back to standard height

lgnd3800

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
BUSted VR
i bought lowered ones, and there is no way in hell im going back to stock lol, just thought there may have been a cure to make it softer

AGRO-V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E
grab a set of coil-overs.
adjust the height
spring rate
and dampening
and i think camber in some.

lgnd3800

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
BUSted VR
what are they worth, and what do they look like ?

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
My understanding was that you are reducing your travel distance of the suspension, thus quickening the rebound.

I just put FE2 shocks front and rear and King springs.

Standard height, feels a little rougher but tbh drives like a dream. When we pulled the old shocks out I pushed them in and it was an effort to get them to come back out again, looking at the date stamp on them they had been the origionals not to mention that they were hydrolic.