Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

soldering iron and wire stripper.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
8ga and up don't necessarily need you to aplly the solder while heating...it certainly helps though :)

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
personally when i had to solder a couple of 10guage speaker cables together (had to split the wire for a dvc sub) i just tinned each wire up with a heap of solder and then with my shitty old iron (didn't heat the wires properly, not enough power and the regualtion was crap) melted the solder and stuck them together (with a little more solder). really soldering larger guages is not that bad even with a nasty $10 iron!

S

Sorak

garfa said:
yeah just make sure you dont melt and panels with the hot air that comes from the side of the tip!

Ha Ha! I didn't have any probs, with any iron you need to be aware of what you are doing and where... But I had to test it just now, nearly burnt my finger :) The hot air from the sides seems to have quite a short range, so shouldn't be an issue as long as you're aware of it (as I am now)... but could be usefull for the HS tubing, I'll have to try it...

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
garfa said:
just twist the wires together and then they hold. then apply solder whilst holding wires and hold iron in other hand.

That sounds like you still need three hands to me!

Wires + soldering iron + solder...

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
wires held together by each other.
solder in one and then iron in other.

now if you can not twist the wires together then just hold a wire with the 2 smallest fingers on each hand and the solder by the tips of your 2 main fingers and the iron in the other hand with again the tip of the main fingers.
really, its easy once you have the nack, but you are usually **** the 1st few times.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
GUys guys guys...put the solder on the tip of the iron BEFORE you attempt to solder...go on...give it a try...you will be surprised :)

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hey i am not the one having the problem :D