Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SOLVED] VP Front strut top mount removal?

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
The dust cover doesnt come off without 1: ripping it or 2: taking the top mount off - it isnt a ziptie-on one.

Also: why would GM force you to use a passthrough socket instead of a special one only they have, or a normal one?
there is no way.

Also also: all the passthrough sockets i can find are not deep enough to fit onto that nut before they hit the top mount surround.

I have inspected inside the strut and there is no flats anywhere on it and just another octagon nut up the top which needs to come off with the top mount off.

EDIT: misunderstood what you typed - yes i might be able to find one of the "hex on the outside" ones

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The dust cover doesnt come off without 1: ripping it or 2: taking the top mount off - it isnt a ziptie-on one.

Also: why would GM force you to use a passthrough socket instead of a special one only they have, or a normal one?
there is no way.

Also also: all the passthrough sockets i can find are not deep enough to fit onto that nut before they hit the top mount surround.

I have inspected inside the strut and there is no flats anywhere on it and just another octagon nut up the top which needs to come off with the top mount off.

EDIT: misunderstood what you typed - yes i might be able to find one of the "hex on the outside" ones
I just did my vt. Yes l know its not vp. They are different.

I used a 15/16 off set ring spanner.This type.
This should allow you to put multigrips on the shaft?
1677193365535.png

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

there is no way.

As mentioned, a long socket with the hex on the outside, or a pass thru socket with a pass-thru extension.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
I got it off, had 6 outside-hex 21mm sockets but the nut is 22 so i ground a pair of flats onto my chrome 22mm and used a 25mm spanner on it.

All good got it off now, thanks for the idea