Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

some vk advice.....

jessedevery

JSD334
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
well iv decided to boot the VT off to the missus and finally go to an older model, had a vn, vr, vt, and just keep gettin disappointed. The VT is such a sack compared to the VR.....so im thinkin bout tryin a VK, but i have no experience with em...could some1 xpl the sl, sl/r or what ever they are...im guesin its like exec berlina etc, but which is which...any ground rules for gettin a VK......i hear stuff like red/blue/black motor...things to keep an eye out for...
km etc etc

im torn between gettin an absolute ****e box for like $100 or gettin a slightly better one...maybe 1500

im keen to buy the **** box and learn how to spray.... i got the time...

comments/suggestions would be appreciated
cheers

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Models are:
SL
Executive
Berlina
Calais
Also the odd Vacationer specials.
The SL and Exec models are a base model, poverty packs. They have the basic black 202 EST motor, EFi 202 and 308/304 V8 optional, trimatic transmission or 4/5 speed manual. Some are optioned with rear disc brakes. Both have cloth seat facings. Air Con standard in Execs, optioned on SLs.

Berlina is mid luxury spec. Has its own unique velour interior trim. Disc brake rear standard. Has more standard options than the SL/Exec VKs. Electric windows/central locking. Optional 308/304 V8

Calais is a separate model in the VKs. Has EFi202 standard, 308/304 V8 optional. Auto only with the EFi202, Velour or leather trim. Electronic dash standard fitment. Unique exterior door moulds and colours.

Now when getting a VK, check for rust in the doors, the area between the rear windscreen and boot, specially the boot lip, around front and rear windscreens. They do have there faults with bad earth. The EST 202 are crap, the main conversion is using a blue 202 Elec dizzy.
Besides that, the VK aren't to bad. They have there following.
HTH

Matt0

Reaction score
Check for shot springs and shocks. Also check the bushes for spongyness and collapsed ones.

chrisvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk sl
hey, i bought my vk commodore from the first owner for 2100 and it only had 94000 on the clock, he was sum religious old guy that didnt like drving, it was completely stock and all ive changed is the head unit and speakers, its just a 202 but it goes alright.
bad news is that even with low km's the engine still ages over time. such as tapets (lifters), rings, cam shaft and most brake boosters leak and rust sum of the eingine bay.
after sum research i realised that holden werent havening a great deal of bizness at the time of its release so the eingine assembley was very average.
but sum people have said that a rebuilt or recon engine are awsome quality so thats what i did and now its quiet, smooth, better on fuel.
the best part about an older model car is that its **** easy to work on and u can fix it urself.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i always thought the VK1/2 are the best models, the ones with the letter box grill. the later model ones also have the borg warner 78 diffs which you can get plenty off good parts for from later models etc

personally i've always like the SL's, nothing fancy, nice and light....go fast material. especially if you fit a 3800 buick engine or maybe an ecotec

Matt0

Reaction score
the best part about an older model car is that its **** easy to work on and u can fix it urself.

Yeah true, they are easy to work on but only after you familarise yourself on how motors work and what parts are what. I used to think exactly the same thing about older cars and thought modern cars were all complicated with their computers and injection. After going ahead and pulling apart late model Commodores and stuff, I realised quickly that there isn't really much difference between a 84 Commodore and a 2001 VY. The only difference is the management of the engine is controlled mostly by the ECU, so everything else is basically the same. I thought stuff it, it's a motor, I can fix it. I jumped in there and got what parts I needed and pulled everything apart and did it. Once you know how a motor and it's stuff works, you will find they are very much the same as older cars. They all have cams, whether overhead or pushrod, they all have valves, they all have either injectors or a carburettor, they all have a manifold and with or without a throttle body. Don't ever be scared of working on modern cars if you know how motors work.