Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Something to think about.............

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Cars of 2008 - 2014.......

mercedes-benz-cls-cls-350-cdi-blueefficiency-sport-4dr-tip-auto-41781780-3.jpg

640px-VW_Passat_CC_rear_20090608.jpg

skoda-visionc-04-1_thumb%25255B4%25255D.jpg

pjQysiS7htn-tShiLqwMmxfw-NRWQMrUXlOVi-HniGNd-uNC-UJfU4kgl8suN1WYV3241J3ZWlZLE-Ds9EnPvzJEpNROTfnkcrwBwAdZZY-g5n1ZQ5LmEpkSoQ

And the car whose rear end styling is widely acknowledged as starting the end of Ford Australia.................

Circa 1998

FORD0155.jpg

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
AU falcon..ugliest aussie big family car ever imo ..its smaller brother the Taurus in the Grand final of said contest...this Falcon made camry's look good..ish by comparison!

don't like the look of any of these at all..is that a VW Passat that's arse looks almost identical to VF rear?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
all ugly cars, AU is just older styling - front is worse than any of them too - and the interior just topped off the ugly.

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
The two euro cars are premium in every way to the Falcon. Hell, the au had clear coat peel within 2 bloody years. Not to mention endless head gasket, quality and electrical issue when it landed.
Sure every car, even the two above have issues too, but not like the Ford.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The two euro cars are premium in every way to the Falcon. Hell, the au had clear coat peel within 2 bloody years. Not to mention endless head gasket, quality and electrical issue when it landed.
Sure every car, even the two above have issues too, but not like the Ford.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

don't forget the diff and handling issues of the S1. Worst Falcon ever by a country mile.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
The Euros are better executed; eg: comparing to the AU the CLS looks longer and wider which hides the slooping tail.

IIRC.. Ford's head designer in the late '90s wanted all their cars worldwide to the have a 'New Edge' styling, hence the sharper edges.. especially the front. Would be interesting to see the original designers drawings on the AU without the 'New Edge' styling.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I can't really see a lot of similarity in the current models to the AU - apart from the Merc, which is also ugly
the AU melted plastic look rear end really is in your face (today it still looks like a dogs arse) whereas the current model cars are rather subtle. They aren't great either (although agreed the VW shares similarities with the VF), but far easier on the eyes than the AU

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Lest we forget other aberrations of the late 90's....

1787694_2.jpg

ford__mondeo_ghia_16v_1998_3_lgw.jpg

Just like Microsoft's pre-ejaculated vision of a mobile, touch and tablet based computing world of the same era, Ford didn't have the technology or maturity to turn them into anything other than a lumps of ****.

First time I ripped out a windscreen to replace it and looked at the pillars and body lip work, I'm almost certain my words were something like; "what the fluff?" (uncensored)

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
the AU is a pretty ugly car but looking at those euros you could say that they where thinking ahead of their time but still couldn't get it right. the only way I can describe the look of the back end of the falcon is that it's round and rectangular at the same time but not oval shaped and it doesn't know what it wants to be. as for the clear coat peel, I don't think I've ever seen a au falcon or a magna from the same era without the peeling/sunburn.

I did however like the american style front end of the AU fairlane/ltd but the back was pretty crap just like the falcon of the time.

edit:

the only thing I hated more than the back end of the au falcon was the round headlamps on the XR au falcons and the tacky plasticy looking matching bumper and grille.

1998-2000_Ford_AU_Falcon_XR6_sedan_01.jpg

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
A cars shape is like womens fashion, all working with basicly the same shape.
All they can do is make things longer/shorter, wider/skinnier etc..
Theirs bound to be similarities in the finished product.

However, the great thing about automobiles is the skeleton can be changed. Hopefully in the not to distant future we can come up with totally different vehicle designs, unlike that pos vision c that wastes boot space with an inverted boot.

I wouldn't mind a "grampa spec" 2013 cls amg. Not a bad car imo.