Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sometimes wont start, can take minutes of cranking, but runs great

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
99 vt v6 runs beautifuly, normaly starts sraight up, drives like as dream... but every now and then if the engine doesn't catch sraight away it just wont start unless i keep blipping the starter, up to maybe 20 times - eventually it will catch and run fine. one time it stalled and i had to pull over and perform above to get going.
not heat affected. niether cold or hot start. truly intermittent. fuel pump primes as normal. key buttons work fine. been thru forum search already.

Any ideas guys?

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
there's 100's of threads like this but ill say it again, Crank Angle Sensor 99% sure

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
there's 100's of threads like this but ill say it again, Crank Angle Sensor 99% sure

yeah ive trawled thru hundreds of threads like this searching for answers, thanks anyway! Obvious diference as far as i can tell is that this will occurr from cold as often as hot... tho it hasn't even had a problem for a couple of weeks now...

Im reluctant to fork out for a three arm puller and a new CAS if it's just to rule it out... and if there's something else that can cause this then someone on here will know about it!

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
do you mean it will just turn over and not start?

almost sounds like your saying the start wont engage..

VTCommy

up tha commodores!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
My commodore did that to me for about 3 weeks mate. The problem was the starter motor!

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
do you mean it will just turn over and not start?

Yea it just turns over and doesn't start, starter motor engages and spins nice and fast, but if the engine doesn't fire up in the first second then it simply wont fire unless i sit there turning the key repeatedly (glad i have a good battery), eventually it will get over itself and fire up and run as if nothing happened.

the next time it does it i will check for the imobiliser light, aparently the bcm can loose it's sanity and not cancel the imobiliser - but i wouldn't think the fault would be intermittent like this - one week it did it three times, but hasn't done it in 2 - three weeks.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Sounds a lot like a dodgy immobiliser circuit in the key head, I had that problem intermittently and a new key head solved it completely.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds a lot like a dodgy immobiliser circuit in the key head, I had that problem intermittently and a new key head solved it completely.

makes sense - and i only have one key anyway so could justify getting another cut - any other possibilities ppls, before breaking out the wallet to try to fix it?

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
makes sense - and i only have one key anyway so could justify getting another cut - any other possibilities ppls, before breaking out the wallet to try to fix it?

should have a spare key never know when you might need it