Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spare key wont turn?

VX Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Hey guys, recently spent $120 on a new key to replace my old one. I've left the old one in the house as a spare but i've ran into a problem. When my mum went to move my car the other day the spare key wouldnt turn. My key turns fine, nothing wrong with it, but the spare key wont turn the barrel! I know this will eventually come and bite me on the ass so whats happening exactly?
Cheers,
Nick.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Obviously you need to go back to where your purchased your spare key.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
most likely was not cut precisely?...had house keys cut by mr.minit and did'nt work so took them back and got them fixed up

tparko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Storm ute
They may have stuff up the cut. I don't know how they would, but it happens. Could just need a wire brush or file.

THE_DUDE_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
So the original key won't work but the new one will? it's usually the other way around as I've been warned about issues resulting from the barrel and usual key wearing over time so they're only compatible with each other, so the Mr minit i used put the original key into a new key fob for best results. had to take it back a good 3 times to have the fresh cut key modified to suit the worn barrel.

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
Theres your mistake right there....you went to Mr Minit LOL

Now if I get this right after you got a new key cut, the original does NOT work but the new one does...
Did they just duplicate it or decode it and cut to code

Dazz

Last edited: