Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spark plugs - how to change?

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
Or get a mate to show you. Sometimes it seems to be second nature if you have been crawling around under cars most of your life.

Sometimes the only way to find out these things is via trial and error. If you have a friend that knows about it sometimes they can show you tricks that you don't get from a manual such as twisting the leads instead of yanking on them as mentioned previously.

Failing that buy a gregories, they have plently of hints and pics which helps.

Plugs on on both sides as it is a v motor, which has some advantages.

sounds like you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty anyway, just let us know how you went and people here are happy to help.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Fellas, what some good sorts of spark plugs to get??

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Maybe you should just pay someone $30 to do it for you if you don't know where the spark plugs are....

with an attitude like that, no one will ever learn anything!

i didnt know much about cars when i got my first... (engine wise) i didnt even know what NA ment, but, now, i know alls orts of useful stuff, mainly about VN/P's... he obviously wants to do it himself and thats great... it should be promoted.

I used to pay peaople to do stuff for me.. its a waste of money sometimes.

aZk.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
i use ngk iridiums...mind u they are $17 ea....they are ok but unless ur car is modded u wont notice much difference over stadard...also herd the bosch super 4's are good and cost considerable less than the iridiums but however the do have a shorter life expectancy

cheers
ryan

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
with an attitude like that, no one will ever learn anything!

i didnt know much about cars when i got my first... (engine wise) i didnt even know what NA ment, but, now, i know alls orts of useful stuff, mainly about VN/P's... he obviously wants to do it himself and thats great... it should be promoted.

I used to pay peaople to do stuff for me.. its a waste of money sometimes.

aZk.

that is true...everyone has to start sumwhere even if it is doin basic things but how is sumone guna learn if they dont ask questions?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
thats it, and im all for people asking queestions! man, im the worst for stupid quesitons... should ahve seen me learning how to change break pads!
hahha

aZk.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
lol i have seen ppl change brake pads tone of times an said everytime ill do mine next time there due, guess wot i still give my mate a carton to do it. i should really give it a go lol u gotta start someone good on u mate for asking for help thats wot this site is about.

hell i broke the heads off 2 spark plugs when i 1st did it but i got them out fine. trial an error is all it takes

Lloyd1986

Reaction score
Website
www.lcimagery.com
Members Ride
VX II Supercharged S pack
thats it, and im all for people asking queestions! man, im the worst for stupid quesitons... should ahve seen me learning how to change break pads!
hahha

aZk.

I guess so, I mean I think people who own cars really should know something about them though. But you just wouldn't want him to strip a thread, or over tighten them or get the gapping wrong, I dunno. As you said I guess youve gotta start somewhere I suppose.

However there are some people who just don't have the mechanical ability to do things. Just like there are some people who shouldent be allowed to drive... Some things some people just cant do.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I guess so, I mean I think people who own cars really should know something about them though. But you just wouldn't want him to strip a thread, or over tighten them or get the gapping wrong, I dunno. As you said I guess youve gotta start somewhere I suppose.

However there are some people who just don't have the mechanical ability to do things. Just like there are some people who shouldent be allowed to drive... Some things some people just cant do.

Agreed.

Anyway, regarding the spark plugs... 3 things I would always tell people to remember. 1. Take the lead off by the boot only; twist and pull to take it off. 2. Always use a plug socket with a rubber grommet inside or you will likely snap a plug in half. 3. You don't need to tighten the plug so damn hard and I don't care what people say. GM recommend tightening to around 15-25 Nm (Newton Metres) which might not seem a lot but is quite enough. It's approx finger tight and 1/4 turn.
As for the spark plug gap, I have found when buying plugs, the gap is fine and the plug is ready to fit. After time you'll be able to see if the gap is 1.5mm.
As for the super fancy plugs that NGK have for expensive prices, I don't see the point at all. The V6 comes with DIS (direct ignition system) so no distributor and using such plugs would be like burning money.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
where are the spark plugs though? on the passengers side of the engine there is a group plugs labeled 1 - 6 but are they the ignition leads?

That thing you see where the leads are coming out of is your ignition coil pack. That's where the spark comes from :thumbsup: