Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speaker dropping out

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Ok, my left front speaker occasionally stops working. If I turn the volume right up it will kick in again . I have aftermarket speakers and a 4 channel amp. My question is what is the best way to determine if it's the amp or iq unit. I have swapped the wires from the left front to left rear and the same problem occurs with the rear so that eliminates the speaker. I use the high level inputs instead of rca plugs, so was wondering if I hooked up an auxiliary speaker to the high level input of the problem channel of speaker when it stops working and the auxiliary speaker works then it would be a faulty amp, is that correct.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Yes. Your high level inputs are just speaker wires coming from the head unit. So if you connect a speaker directly to the high level wires that were going into the amp and the speaker works, its your amp.

When you swap the speaker outputs from the amp, does the issue follow to the swapped side?

Check the ground on the amp too.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
When I had a similar problem it turned out to be a faulty channel in the amp.