Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

speed cameras, again.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
The spare should always be fitted to the front so it doesn’t fuk the diff.
thats the issue tho if u get a flat in the rear u only have a front to replace it with till fixed, would have been better if they at least use a tyre with the rolling diameter of the rear but on the front rim so it was ok as dosnt matter being on the front

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Different Diameter tyre would possibly mess with ESP/ABS ?
As one side is rotating more.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
thats the issue tho if u get a flat in the rear u only have a front to replace it with till fixed, would have been better if they at least use a tyre with the rolling diameter of the rear but on the front rim so it was ok as dosnt matter being on the front
Surely you can get 8.5” and 9” staggered tyres that have the same rolling diameter.

If so it would have been better if they had chosen tires with the same rolling diameter front and rear even with staggered rims, then it wouldn’t have been any concern using the spare :rolleyes:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Surely you can get 8.5” and 9” staggered tyres that have the same rolling diameter.

If so it would have been better if they had chosen tires with the same rolling diameter front and rear even with staggered rims, then it wouldn’t have been any concern using the spare :rolleyes:
hmmm maby HSV is different, mine is 8'' front and 9.5'' rear, might have been closet they can get tyre wise

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
hmmm maby HSV is different, mine is 8'' front and 9.5'' rear, might have been closet they can get tyre wise
I have a set of E1 GTS wheels with the same 8" fronts, 9.5" rears.
The Maloo wheels are 8.5" and 9.5". The generic HSV spare is 8.5" with a +44 offset.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I have a set of E1 GTS wheels with the same 8" fronts, 9.5" rears.
The Maloo wheels are 8.5" and 9.5". The generic HSV spare is 8.5" with a +44 offset.
interesting, mine is a factory full size spare and its just same as a front wheel specs, maby they changed it after the first batch of hsv

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
interesting, mine is a factory full size spare and its just same as a front wheel specs, maby they changed it after the first batch of hsv
I think they changed from E2 onwards.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My Motorsport Edition has a spare “temporary use” wheel that is exactly the same as the one fitted on the front axle (same rim & tyre). The only difference is the spare has a speed warning sticker, a temporary wheel sticker and no TPMS sensor fitted.

Yes using the spare wheel on the back axle where the factory wheels are wider can cause a handling issue if one drives at 11/10 (=like an idiot) :p

But using that spare wheel on the front will make no difference to handling (unless one tire is near bald while the spare is near new and you’re driving in the wet) ;)

Might be the same size as the front,but they have to put the warning on just in case it goes on the rear, where I see most punctures