Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speeding Margin to be axed.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
On a final note having been a driver for about 30 years now, I really don't need to constantly check my speed around the traffic. I haven't had a speeding fine for years so must be doing something right.
how is that relevant? for starters you're in SA, which has god knows what tolerance on their speed cameras, remembering that this thread topic is that NSW now has a 0% tolerance. unless SA was incorporated as suburb of NSW, or has adopted the same laws, you can't say that a 0% tolerance wouldn't have netted you a swag of speeding fines in the past.
(yes i know you use a GPS and Cruise control, but at best that covers 20 of your 30 years on the roads, and i'd warrant that for the first 10 years, speed cameras weren't nearly as prevalent and with as low a tolerance as they are now)

Again, all you need to do is set your speed alert to 5ks below the posted limit and you will be fine.
brilliant idea, but wiping off 5 might not go far enough. don't stop until you're doing 20k's under on the freeway. after all if our glorious leaders say it's safer, it must be. i don't see the need for a people to live in such fear of the government and the law that they roll over like a good dog and submit by driving less than the posted speed limit, just to appease the nanny state.

***************************************NB**********************
for the slower readers, i'm not calling anyone a dog, just saying that it shits me that the response to government kneejerks like this is to knuckle under and do more than what's asked, in an attempt to avoid the whip

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
maybe if the road authorities didnt drop road speeds, people wouldnt feel the need to speed.
eg. my road used to be 60, which is safe, they drop the speed to 50. im still gonna travel close to 60 as it is extremely safe.

a good example is the Calder Freeway. used to be 110 (or 100) for many years. and outta nowhere they drop it to 80 (was for roadworks at the time)
it has no use to stay at that limit (it stayed after roadworks finished). if they had appropriate speed limits then would people really need to speed?

it does seem like the RTA wants revenue.
and rules for rules sake it completely stupid, it just causes more pain and confusion.

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
I think people are forgetting that it doesn't matter how accurate your speedo is or what your speed your speedo says your doing.

It's what the coppers radar or speed camera say you are doing that matters.

I agree with you but no tolerance just isn't fair. (I am referring to only a few km over.)

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II
thats bullshit! if i ever get caught doing say 61 in a 60 zone and lose my licence(p plater) i will deadset plant a bomb in the RTA building and blow them ####ers up!!!!!

agreed. seriously but 1km/h over the speed limit? and i dont have that speed alert thing either :(
also another question, i have 18" wheels (i know you wont know exact figures) but roughly how much would they throw off my speedo by ?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think people are forgetting that it doesn't matter how accurate your speedo is or what your speed your speedo says your doing.

It's what the coppers radar or speed camera say you are doing that matters.

That's true, but when you are talking about a variation of as little as 1km/h, this sort of legislation is bloody ridiculous. And the point already made about drivers spending more time watching their speedo that the road is a good one. Too many drivers are poor judges of their current speed and can't maintain a constant speed. If they know there is no allowance given, they'll have their heads buried in the instruments all the time instead of on the road.

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
agreed. seriously but 1km/h over the speed limit? and i dont have that speed alert thing either :(
also another question, i have 18" wheels (i know you wont know exact figures) but roughly how much would they throw off my speedo by ?

use the link ^, but you will need to get the tyre size from the actual tyre(and know the size of the stock tyre), the size of the rim is somewhat irrelevant(other than we know you tyre has a minimum diameter of 18"

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
That's true, but when you are talking about a variation of as little as 1km/h, this sort of legislation is bloody ridiculous. And the point already made about drivers spending more time watching their speedo that the road is a good one. Too many drivers are poor judges of their current speed and can't maintain a constant speed. If they know there is no allowance given, they'll have their heads buried in the instruments all the time instead of on the road.

As I mentioned earlier, many people(or most according to some) push the current tolerances now(the defacto speed limit), 5 or 3km/h depending on state , they would be no more "glued to the speedo" keeping to that tolerance than they would be this one.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
As I mentioned earlier, many people(or most according to some) push the current tolerances now(the defacto speed limit), 5 or 3km/h depending on state , they would be no more "glued to the speedo" keeping to that tolerance than they would be this one.

I disagree (surprise, surprise).

When there is a leeway given, people will abuse it. When there's absolutely none, they will be far less likely to do so.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I agree with you but no tolerance just isn't fair. (I am referring to only a few km over.)

I never said I agreed with it. Quite the opposite actually. I was just pointing out that if a "Zero Tolerance" towards speeding and a 0% margin of error is introduced is just a blantant grab at more money. It's not going to do dick in regards to reducing the road toll/accidents.

It was more aimed at the people saying "Don't speed and you won't get caught". It doesn't matter how speed conscious you are or how accurate your speedo reads, if the speed detecting devices used to "catch you speeding" read different to yours, you're gonna get fined.

This kind of approach has nothing to do with road safety. I know for a fact that over the years, there would have been times I 'd have been doing 1-5 kms over a given speed limit (un-intentionally). And during those occasions I have done so without spontaniously combusting, running over 17 children or driving into a tree. And guess what? I didn't even die once. :rolleyes:

All the beige cardigan wearing, government koolaid drinking fools who believe a 0% leeway on speeding fines can make a difference and promote "Road Safety" need to pull their head of their arse and be realistic.