Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sports steering wheel is it illegal?

spacattack

THE ENFORCER!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VN
iv heard alot of ppl gettin defected for there sports streering wheels so what illegal and whats not? the pic there is the one i might be gettin or somethin very similar can someone tell me if its illegal or not for me to put it on my 91 VN?

Attachments

• momo.jpg
    momo.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 4,572

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I haven'ts heard people getting defected, but I have heard some people getting into trouble with the Flat bottom stering wheels. But I have a couple of mates who have flat bottom steering wheels. Never had any issues. But If you car hasn't got an airbag couldn't see why it shouldn't be illegal.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

spacattack

THE ENFORCER!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VN
ok this is what airstrike just sent me on msn
1. Replacement steering wheels must be not less than 330mm in diameter. If the original steering wheel was designed with a recessed or padded hub, the replacement wheel must be of similar design.

2.Vehicles manufactured after June 1995, which are required to comply with ADR 69/.. (Full Frontal Impact Occupant Protection), may only be fitted with steering wheels certified by the vehicle manufacturer as suitable for that vehicle

3. Steering wheels fitted to passenger cars manufactured after 1970 must not be replaced with any steering wheel which would cause the vehicle not to comply with the energy absorption requirements for steering columns in ADR 10.

thats for vicotria but its pretty much the same around aust.

D

damo15

one of my mates got defected for havin a steering wheel that was 2 small although the cop neva measured it or anything and its the same size as his new one so i dunno

spacattack

THE ENFORCER!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VN
ill tell the cop where to shove his ticket if he did that

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
I think its stupid how there are limits to the sizes. Most cars these days have powersteering.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Not really to do with power steering or not.

Bigger wheels, more to grab, more things to stop your head going into the dash. Most steering wheels are padded to the max coming from factory- after market ones are all metallic and quite nasty.

I always laugh at those spikey ones. I'd hate to see the guy after hitting one.

U

Ute God

bextor84 said:

I always laugh at those spikey ones. I'd hate to see the guy after hitting one.

The idea is not to hit it lol :bop:

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
QUOTE: Qld Transport Legislation -

The diameter of any replacement wheel may be up to 25mm smaller than the original wheel but not must be less than 350mm.

Basically, the smallest legal overall is 350mm, but a VN/VP standard wheel is 390mm. So smallest legal for you is 365mm