Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spraying Acrylic

tufwgz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
found the message he sent me, he said for acrylic, he uses needles between 1.5-1.8 and for 2 pak he uses 1.3-1.4....

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
1.8 i good for acrylic 1.3/1.4 is ok for little jobs but is too slow for anything bigger than single panels

tufwgz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
it's a DeVilbiss Finishline gun, i've never heard a bad thing about these guns from all the automotive sprayers i know, and even airbrushers who use these say they are unbeleivable, so i just had to get one....waited til the dollar was good then got one from america....don't ask about the price just incase the wife see's me on here haha

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yes i have been told that 1.8 is big, but then they ask what type of paint i'm suign and when i say acrylic, then they sya oh yeh that's not a problem then.

yeah true. i must admit to a lack of knowledge when it comes to acrylic (not that im amazing with 2k either :p) but at least with peel, you can always block it back, no biggie.

i just got a devilbliss sgk (i think it is) when someone asked me what it was like to use i said "it gives you orgasims... no really, orgasims... good ones too"

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
Finishline are a great gun so is the sgk. The sgk is the asian market equivelent of the finishline. With that gun set the inlet pressure between 23 and 30 psi. Have the fan wound all the way out and wind the fluid needle all the way out, hold the trigger in and wind the adjuster in until it starts to push on the trigger then turn it in 1.5 turns this should give you a good starting point

tufwgz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
haha yeh good guns from what i heard, and thanks smooth for the tip.....i'll give that go as my starting point and then work from there...cheers!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
the good thing about acrylic is that you can get a really good finish even if you stuff the spraying up. Put heaps of paint on the car, if the finish is blotchy or orange peely, rub back with 1200 wet n dry until smooth, then compound and polish. You can get a smooth mirror finish that way.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
like this:
100_2472.jpg

it WAS matte black, but i naffed up the seam in the middle so after a bit of rubbing back

tufwgz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
nice, yeh have been told acrylic is alot easier to do things with, spraying and touching up errors etc......i must admit, originally i was going to spray 2k, but the primer i have used is a 1k laquer, and me mate goes nah nah, your not doing 2k now unless you want rub your primer right back and i'm guna have to use 1k now......so that's how it came by that i am spraying laquer now....but i'm actually glad i am now because 2k, from what i have heard is too involving with things, you need right ventilation, setup, plus when you get runs you can't just rub it back and touch up 9that's what've heard anyway)......so i'm pretty happy with using the acrylic, it won't be as hardy as a 2 pack but i won't be driving this car on the street all the time anyway, just a weekender....