Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

squeaky brakes???

speedracer006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wags
hey all.

last night i noticed my brakes started squealin, naturally i went and bought a new set of brake pads, but after taking the wheel off, i noticed that the pad on there were prety much new! (i just bought the car last week)

could it be the pads wearing in maybe? or just sh*tty pads???

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
All squeaks are caused by harmonic vibrations between the pad and the caliper. Clean all the dust off them, put a tiny dab of grease where the pad slides on the caliper, and run through the bedding in procedure.

speedracer006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wags
by callipers do you mean rotors???? it only seems to happen when ive been driving for a while also, i.e when the brakes heat up a bit??

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
do your rotors have a step in them where the pad runs? the par touching the edge of that step can also cause a squeel

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
by callipers do you mean rotors???? it only seems to happen when ive been driving for a while also, i.e when the brakes heat up a bit??

no, calipers are what holds the pads in.so the big metal thing (if thats what you want to call it) with pads in it

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
do your rotors have a step in them where the pad runs? the par touching the edge of that step can also cause a squeel

are you refering to a disc thats needs to be machined? if you are, then SPEEDRACER006, look at your discs. are they shiney and silver? or are they starting to get little tiny groves in them?

speedracer006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wags
na still shiny and silver, it beats me, they dont appear to rub or anythin, just after ive been drivin for more than 10 minutes or so, if i press the brake, it squeals, and gets worse as i drive for longer (town driving that is so its stop go stop go). If i jump on the anchors, it doesn't do it though..... I dunno could it just be crap quality pads??? they seem like new

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
same thing happend with me, i bought my WH stato and 1st week the breaks were sqeekin a fair bit, but after probly 2-3 weeks it had all but gone away, only a little bit every now and then, and im told its just probly dust.. You said u bought the car a week or so ago, could the car have been sitting at the dealership for a long while, thats ment to somehow be a reason for the sqeeky breaks too lol...
dunno if that helps but it sounds the same as me lol

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
WHat pads are you using ? Yes some pads will squeal more if they have heated up due to dust and resin from pads. I have Ferodo pads and they seamed to squeal alot. I just put on QFM Ceramic pads, cheaper than the Ferodo and they grind instead when cold, slight grind, and may squeak shortly after a heavy bout of breaking or so, but then goes away. They are very good pads, and i have very happy with them. Ferodo Excel just **** pads. Hardly any dust, Rotor face stays smooth. The Ferodos used to cut grooves into the rotor. THey did that on my original rotors, and then on some new rotors with new pads. Some people reckon the anti squeal works, some say it doesn't i have never tried it before.