Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSZ Front Brakes On To VU - Replacement Brake Lines Required?

PhilMeUp

Reaction score
Members Ride
----------
Tonight’s task: fit VZ SSZ front and rear calipers, discs and brake lines to a 2001 VU Commodore ute.
Result: Success with the rear brakes, failure with the front ones.
Problem: Brake lines not long enough.

(Just realised that I've only tried the brake lines that came with the SSZ calipers. Haven't tried the original VU lines yet.)

Was checking the front setup, including pushing the hub from side to side to ensure that everything clears at full steering lock. Just as well I checked - the rubber brake lines are getting stretched to their limit at each steering extreme.

I’ve tried pushing the rubber lines through the plastic guide that sits in the bracket (which is attached to the suspension strut). No success.

As far as I can tell, I’ll have to get some braided brake lines made up. I’d rather avoid the expense - the ute only does a couple of thousand km a year (ie rarely used).

Any magic solutions besides getting new brake lines? Would love to get this sorted quickly - I took a bunch of photos and will put together a full photographic guide once I can get this finished.

SSZ_Front_Brake_Line_1_25_6_2014.jpg

SSZ_Front_Brake_Line_2_25_6_2014.jpg

2Com

$$$ talks Bullshit walks
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Just use your standard front brake lines (are actually LONGER than the SSZ/Monaro brake lines). So much longer that you may have too pull the excess length back through the bracket welded to the strut (easy do do)

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Are we on a thread digging expedition?