Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stanley socket sets any good?

H

harrop.senator

Na the repco Top tier repco Brand I think is them. Taiwanese and similar. If you look at sp kc Teng they're all very similar and I've read on the net I think theirs three or four big tooling companies in Taiwan that make to spec/order for hundreds of companies.

Pretty sure mechpro blue is rebadged powerbuilt if its a rename us company. as repco used to supply powerbuilt as just under their own brand back in the day. Boss got his powerbuilt roller can from them as an apprentice ten years ago.

The really cheap repco one is worse then vunnings bargain bin. Repco is ridiculous on rrp trade is legit 50% of their retail everytime our invoices show our Price and retail and its a joke the difference.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If it's really the top teir stuff then the Stanley's a bargain! I have their 3/8 set on rail and it's fine.
The Repco blue clone in USA is called Kobalt, Exactly the same direct drive ratchet based sets. Supposed to be OK, Repco give a 5 year warranty on them.
Agree about the bottom shelf junk.

H

harrop.senator

To out it into perspective on trade price on of the boys bought an 800nm reverse 1/2" compact rattle gun in their Top tier repco trade for $135 our Price with I think a 2-3 year warranty lol.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I agree Repco tools used to just be Repco tools. Now they also have Mechpro which I have none of. I noticed in Repco the other day that some of the workshop tools like pullers and different specific tools are rebadged Toledo gear, yet with a 20% - 25% mark up compared to what Nuts and Bolts sell Toledo gear for anyway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I get pretty much trade on everything at Repco if I get served by a certain bloke at my local store. But I was looking for a Repco two drawer add on as I have run out of room on my roller cab and Trade price was about $260 I'm pretty sure. Where I bought my tool chest and roller cab from Repco a few years back and that only cost me $750 for both. The top chest I think I paid $249.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
To out it into perspective on trade price on of the boys bought an 800nm reverse 1/2" compact rattle gun in their Top tier repco trade for $135 our Price with I think a 2-3 year warranty lol.

Was that battery rattle gun? I have a CP air rattle gun and it's a $300 tool but no way does it tighten up to 800nm and the air pressure needed to drive it properly means I need a much better compressor than I have right now. My mate can get me a 17cfm FAD for a $1000 at cost price through his wholesale air supplies business. But AFAIK the new battery guns are the go now.

H

harrop.senator

800nm in reverse man they barely ever quote their do up and its usually less then half. My ten year old nicad snap on rattle gun outdrives one of the boys Wurth air gun with a 21? Cfm 3 cylinder 3 phase compressor at 100lb with 1/2"? Feed lines.

Pretty sure my snap on gun does 900 reverse and 250? Do up. Battery has much more torque then air. Mines outdated to hell and still drives harder then tiger Woods.

This isnt on tools but to put some of their Mark up onto perspective...

H

harrop.senator

Also fyi retail on that $135 rattle gun is $320 lol Chicago pneumatic is great quality tools.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I love my CP gun. I picked it up at a garage sale. I think I paid $40, when I saw it I rang my mate straight away and quizzed him on it as it looked like it was a good one but I needed to confirm. If IRC I think I even tried to offer him $30. My mate said yepp that is really good gun and told me to grab it. The bloke I bought the gun off was an old mech but never ended up taking it out of the box as he always worked in workshop that had them ready to go. I've thought about getting the thicker hose and connections that Holden factory used to use, as my mate used to supply GMH in SA with all their pneumatic fittings and he was able to get me some, I never bothered as my compressor only delivers 220lpm FAD, where I really need 17cfm which is big as I can go as I don't have 3 phase power and won't be putting it in just to run a really good comp, compared to a pretty good one that I will eventually get and can run off 15a. I reckon I will add a battery gun to my box one day. I love the ease of using it anywhere and not having to fire up the comp.

Last edited: