Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter motor

Pedro1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute / HJ kingswood ute
Put in a replacement starter in my 98 vs series 3 auto , when it's in idle and drive it's all good but in reverse sound sick what could that be ?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
V6 or V8?
There are three types of starter for the V6 that I know of, going thru the drama of finding the correct replacement for a VP V6 myself ATM, also there are some that MAY require shimming, compounded by the sub standard quality of inferior copies of OEM brands it is getting harder and harder to find good quality replacement parts at a reasonable price.
Are you certain it is the starter making the noise?
Is it a knocking/vibrating noise?
Strange it is just in reverse...
If the replacement starter is a different shape maybe shagged engine and G/box mounts are rearing their ugly head...

Pedro1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute / HJ kingswood ute
V6 or V8?
There are three types of starter for the V6 that I know of, going thru the drama of finding the correct replacement for a VP V6 myself ATM, also there are some that MAY require shimming, compounded by the sub standard quality of inferior copies of OEM brands it is getting harder and harder to find good quality replacement parts at a reasonable price.
Are you certain it is the starter making the noise?
Is it a knocking/vibrating noise?
Strange it is just in reverse...
If the replacement starter is a different shape maybe shagged engine and G/box mounts are rearing their ugly head...

Hey mate yeah sorry it's a 6 I got the stater from a vt and it looked identical as the one I removed , it's a little in drive to the lower the revs in both drive n reverse the less it makes the sound all I can gather is the sound is coming from thereabouts the starter or the tranny