Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Startup Problems (Fuel System Maybe?)

KLatham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Commodore
Whenever I take my car on a medium-long drive (Around 20+ minutes) and turn it off, and then try and restart it, it won't start. After a few tries at turning over it starts making a 'whumping' sound... and won't start. But after I give it a few hours, it starts again.

I've just read alot of stuff about running it near empty and the problems that causes, do you think this could be the case for mine (I usually run it pretty low.) So i'm starting to think that its a problem with the fuel pump or fuel filter... maybe some junk from the bottom of the fuel tank has caused it?

Any thoughts?

Is they fuel pump and fuel filter worth replacing anyways?

Its a problem that annoys me because it means I drive my car less, and starting it again after i've turned it off is not a guarantee.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
I'd do your fuel filter to start with, and really try not to run it below 1/4 of a tank.

Fuel pump could be an issue as it won't start when warm. Get your petrol flow checked by a mechanic or something.

Best of luck mate.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
its claimed that the internal pump needs fuel around it to keep it cool and frequent running on near empty can damage it by letting it get too hot

both pumps are available, changing the internal one is a bit messy