Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering rack rattle

PietroChocko

Nurses do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a VN Executive 5.0, but now a Ford Laser Auto.
Hi there, I searched already to see if there was a thread about this but didn't find anything that answered my question.

Anyways I'm currently selling my VN, and had a guy come out to look at it to buy it. He was driving it and went to do a U-Turn and the steering shuddered. He then said how that sounds really bad, and none of his cars do that. It happened again when he turned somewhat abruptly, and said the same thing again.

The thing is, we've had that steering rack replaced twice in the last 5 years, and since we've had the car (according to my dad) it has always had some sort of shudder when you turn the steering too quickly. It's been properly maintained and hasn't slid into a kerb or anything like that.

So is it a bad thing? Or is it just a standard fault, like I thought it was? Thanks for reading.

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
How is your Struts and Shocks?

I dont know if that can cause a Vibration tho..

Check your Power Steering Fluid to, it might be low..Or need a change :S

If i think of anything that can help, i'll post back. :)

Good luck!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Sounds like the power steering pump to me - as said above ^^ could be a little low on oil. Does it leak at all?

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
I get that too. real bad! if some one watches the car from the outside while I turn they see the front wheels bounce as I turn.
I changed my shocks and it still does it so I am about to rebuild the whole front end from scratch. last thing on my list to get before i do so is a new rack as its stuffed too.

PietroChocko

Nurses do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the posts guys, it's appreciated.

I put in a new front suspension and wheel bearings last October, so it isn't the suspension. I honestly haven't checked the power steering fluid, so I'll do that once I get home from Uni today. It definitely doesn't leak, but it used to, hence the replacement of it.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Thanks for the posts guys, it's appreciated.

I put in a new front suspension and wheel bearings last October, so it isn't the suspension. I honestly haven't checked the power steering fluid, so I'll do that once I get home from Uni today. It definitely doesn't leak, but it used to, hence the replacement of it.

When I had my VN it sometimes had a mild shudder. I just flushed the system with new fluid and then added some Nulon conditioner. Same thing with my VY now. It had a bad shudder I replaced the fluid and used Nulon and it virtually went away for a while and is just coming back after 12 months. If that doesn't fix it and the rack is good it could be the pump and Holmart have or had reconditioned ones really cheap no change over needed.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's more of a vibration than a shudder though isn't it? My partners VN does it too, I have checked or replaced just about everything it could be but it still does it, only around left hand corners though. We did tie rod ends, rack ends, wheel bearings, we even swapped wheels. I don't think the radius rod bushes have been done yet though.

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
my strut tops knock and flex in and out when pushing on the bonnet. i have a set of nolathane adjustable ones here ready to go in.
Try looking at those.

PietroChocko

Nurses do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's more of a vibration than a shudder though isn't it? My partners VN does it too, I have checked or replaced just about everything it could be but it still does it, only around left hand corners though. We did tie rod ends, rack ends, wheel bearings, we even swapped wheels. I don't think the radius rod bushes have been done yet though.

It's a shudder, but that is a subjective term I guess.

I checked the level and it is about 1/2 a centimetre down from the Full:Cold marking. Does it require a top-up? I'd have no bloody clue how much to put into it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
To describe what the missus VN does, the wheel shakes violently, like you have an out of balance front wheel, but it only does it going around left hand corners.

The PS fluid is fine, 1/2cm down is nothing to be concerned about, but the correct amount to put in would be to top it up to the Full:Cold line when it is cold.