Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel button issue

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
I just replaced mine as they was doing the exact same thing. I got the newer buttons that "click" when pressed. Like others have said a common fault with VYs I was gonna get mine replaced under warranty was too lazy. So i picked up a new one for $50 and fit it myself all you need to do is take the airbag off (after disconnecting battery and air bag fuse) and the controls are right there.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Mine were doing this too - fixed by re-soldering the joints on the button PCB and spraying the microswitches with some electrical contact cleaner. Good as new now :)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Ok how do you remove the buttons to re-solder the joints on the PCB? And what is the PCB? Durr

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I just replaced mine as they was doing the exact same thing. I got the newer buttons that "click" when pressed. Like others have said a common fault with VYs I was gonna get mine replaced under warranty was too lazy. So i picked up a new one for $50 and fit it myself all you need to do is take the airbag off (after disconnecting battery and air bag fuse) and the controls are right there.

Where'd you get a new set for $50?

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
PCB, stands for power control board.

Actually its printed circuit board

Disconnect the negative battery terminal - you need to do this to avoid logging an airbag fault. Before doing this, be sure you have your radio PIN handy - you may or may not need it.

Remove the horn pad by inserting a large flat blade screwdriver into the holes on the back and twist to release the clips. Remove the horn pad carefully, disconnecting the airbag wiring connector and place the horn pad aside in a safe place, away from people and fragile objects (you never know!)

Disconnect the wiring connector for the steering wheel buttons and feed it through so the buttons are free to come out. There are a couple of screws holding the buttons - remove these and remove the controls from the car as a pair.

On your workbench (you DO have a workbench right? ;)) disassemble the buttons very carefully with a small jewellers flat blade screwdriver - the clips are visible on the outside of the buttons. Be CAREFUL - you dont want to break any of the plastic clips. Once you have these apart, you can access the PCB with the microswitches.

Using a proper electronics soldering iron with a fine tip (don't use a plumbers soldering iron) heat each of the solder pads until the solder melts - then apply a small amount of fresh solder (for electronics - flux core not acid core) and remove the iron from the joint. Do this to each joint in the unit.

Spray the microswitches with some electrical contact cleaner. (available at Jaycar - cat number NA1012 for $11.50 per can) Give them a fair soaking as you are relying on some of it running down into the switches where you can't reach. The contact cleaner evaporates very fast so while spraying, or immediately after, press the buttons quickly a few times to work the cleaner through.

Once you've re-touched the solder joints and cleaned the microswitch contacts, you can re-assemble the buttons and install everything back into the car.

Remember that you have nothing to lose by trying this - even if you completely wreck the buttons, you were probably about to go and buy another set anyway werent you? :)

Note - the electrical contact cleaner is a fantastic thing to have. It will fix a huge number of electrical problems not only in your car, but also at home. Personally I've used it to fix an intermittent power window switch problem, the steering wheel buttons, some noisy hifi connections, a hard drive intermittently losing power in my PC, and HEAPS more.

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
Where'd you get a new set for $50?

ebay - seller ID was iquay. Just installed my satin chrome door handles i bought from him for $86